ILS Range

RAF_JAGUAR

Is it possible to set the ILS range to touchdown on the HUD? I know how to set up the ILS/Tacan in so far as getting them to lock on and selecting the ILS on the HSI, but all i get on the HUD is range info for the selected steer point, not the ILS. I also keep turning the ILS off and i do not know how i am doing it lol. Thanks for your help.

How much longer, Ops? The engine’s overheating and so am I. We either stand down or blow up. Which do you want?

:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

ILS can be turned off by the ILS volume knob

So by turning the ILS volume down i am actually turning it off. Useful to know, thanks.

How much longer, Ops? The engine’s overheating and so am I. We either stand down or blow up. Which do you want?

ILS provides no range. When in TCN/PLS mode the radar on the HSI is to the TACAN station. There is no TACAN information displayed on the HUD.

An audible "click" and snap of movement would be helpful to illustrate the ILS knob's distinct off position relative to the volume adjust rotation range.

ILS provides no range. When in TCN/PLS mode the radar on the HSI is to the TACAN station. There is no TACAN information displayed on the HUD.

Very surprised to read this, the RAF Jaguar provided Tacan range and ILS range on the HUD back in the 70's! Is it a feature just not implemented yet because i kind of find it hard to believe real F-16's fly around in shitty weather trying to fly ILS approaches with steerpoint info only displayed on the HUD.

Very surprised to read this, the RAF Jaguar provided Tacan range and ILS range on the HUD back in the 70's! Is it a feature just not implemented yet because i kind of find it hard to believe real F-16's fly around in shitty weather trying to fly ILS approaches with steerpoint info only displayed on the HUD.

Glide slope and altitude are a perfect reference for an eye-balled distance to touch down.

I don't think real F16s have the distance shown either

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

F-16 has provision for marker beacon (OM/MM/IM) reporting and TACAN or NAV distance to TACAN station or INS point respectively. Normal ILS approach is done by simultaneous reference to TACAN (bearing needle on HSI and distance) and ILS (LOC and GS). Either the markers or TACAN distance satisfies the requirements for CAT I approach.

The range displayed in TCN/PLS is to the TACAN tuned. If there is a DME associated with the ILS then it can be used instead by tuning the TACAN equipment to the channel for that DME. In that case TACAN bearing would not function and range would be to the DME station.

After all DME is just a TACAN station without bearing.