[CANNOT REPRODUCE] Autopilot doesn't work in Mission Editor

Musicman2018

This is driving me bonkers. I fly the default training mission "Taxi and Takeoff" and the Autopilot works perfectly which is something I have never been able to use. I found this out by accident just by wondering if the Autopilot worked in any of the default scenarios. However when I load this mission into the mission editor and play it without any alterations at all the Autopilot doesn't work. I'm not therefore able to use the mission as a default start scenario where I know the Autopilot works.

I can't get the autopilot to work under any circumstances. I've got a deadzone set etc and I would of thought if the Autopilot works in this mission then there is nothing wrong with my controls which are the X52 Joystick and Throttle. There is no problem with ATC working just any of the Autopilot functions.

*SOLVED* I think I've solved the problem. In my settings the "GAME FLIGHT MODE WAS TICKED". After I unticked this setting I loaded up the Instant Action - Caucus FA-18C Ready On The Ramp scenario and flew it to check the autopilot was working 100% which it was. I then loaded the same into Mission Editor and without altering anything resaved it My Caucus FA-18C Ready On The Ramp and flew it. VIOLA the autopilot works perfectly.

Edited by Musicman2018
Problem Solved

This is driving me bonkers. I fly the default training mission "Taxi and Takeoff" and the Autopilot works perfectly which is something I have never been able to use. I found this out by accident just by wondering if the Autopilot worked in any of the default scenarios. However when I load this mission into the mission editor and play it without any alterations at all the Autopilot doesn't work. I'm not therefore able to use the mission as a default start scenario where I know the Autopilot works.

I can't get the autopilot to work under any circumstances. I've got a deadzone set etc and I would of thought if the Autopilot works in this mission then there is nothing wrong with my controls which are the X52 Joystick and Throttle. There is no problem with ATC working just any of the Autopilot functions.

What does cannot reproduce mean? Does it mean it works ok for you and if so is there any settings or triggers in ME that are causing it not to work for me.

In terms of settings for the Autopilot - I personally use it all the time, as in every time I fly, whether it be single player or multiplayer, without issue.

BALT and RALT are dependent on having your horizon within a certain parameter (so you need to be definitely around +/-5* of climb or decent, then select desired altimeter option.

HSEL, must be set via the momentary switch to the upper left of the AMPCD (you can actuate this for a moment of time and then when the UFC displays HSEL, you can manually enter the desired heading), then you must select the HSEL option on the UFC after depressing A/P again.

ATT (attitude) can be set with a relatively decent amount of angle of attack / roll into the aircraft, and most likely a limit to it somewhere (to which I wouldn't speak of as I am not certain), but the aircraft can have at least +/-20* climb/decent into it, as I have selected that option with similar attitude in the aircraft, and possible with a relatively aggressive amount of roll as well.

Paddle lever then will disengage any A/P function that is set, until you select parameters again.

Might suggest watching one of CAP's videos on YouTube regarding the A/P in the Hornet, if you are still struggling after any of that - for me it's easier to see what it happening, rather than reading it.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

THE most important thing to do is make sure you have a slight dead zone in the pinptch and roll axis of your stick. If there is ANY pitch or roll input the auto pilot will not engage.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

In terms of settings for the Autopilot - I personally use it all the time, as in every time I fly, whether it be single player or multiplayer, without issue.

BALT and RALT are dependent on having your horizon within a certain parameter (so you need to be definitely around +/-5* of climb or decent, then select desired altimeter option.

HSEL, must be set via the momentary switch to the upper left of the AMPCD (you can actuate this for a moment of time and then when the UFC displays HSEL, you can manually enter the desired heading), then you must select the HSEL option on the UFC after depressing A/P again.

ATT (attitude) can be set with a relatively decent amount of angle of attack / roll into the aircraft, and most likely a limit to it somewhere (to which I wouldn't speak of as I am not certain), but the aircraft can have at least +/-20* climb/decent into it, as I have selected that option with similar attitude in the aircraft, and possible with a relatively aggressive amount of roll as well.

Paddle lever then will disengage any A/P function that is set, until you select parameters again.

Might suggest watching one of CAP's videos on YouTube regarding the A/P in the Hornet, if you are still struggling after any of that - for me it's easier to see what it happening, rather than reading it.

Cheers,

Don

Thanks Don my problem isn't the autopilot not working because if I fly the training mission "Taxi and take off" the autopilot and the Auto Throttle works perfectly . I assume there is nothing wrong with my Controls setup. I have a deadzone of 1 on my pitch and roll X52 Joystick which seems to work fine.

My problem is if I use the Mission Editor to fly the same mission without changing anything the autopilot doesn't work at all. My intention was just to change the time of day and use the mission as a starting point to learn the autopilot a bit more and the use of waypoint etc. I don't understand though why the autopilot doesn't work in Mission Editor. Is there a sequence of events or inputs I could check in Mission Editor? Is there a box to tick for the autopilot? I just don't know how to replicate the settings in the working autopilot mission.

Thanks Don my problem isn't the autopilot not working because if I fly the training mission "Taxi and take off" the autopilot and the Auto Throttle works perfectly . I assume there is nothing wrong with my Controls setup. I have a deadzone of 1 on my pitch and roll X52 Joystick which seems to work fine.

My problem is if I use the Mission Editor to fly the same mission without changing anything the autopilot doesn't work at all. My intention was just to change the time of day and use the mission as a starting point to learn the autopilot a bit more and the use of waypoint etc. I don't understand though why the autopilot doesn't work in Mission Editor. Is there a sequence of events or inputs I could check in Mission Editor? Is there a box to tick for the autopilot? I just don't know how to replicate the settings in the working autopilot mission.

Oh man, I completely failed to read your OP. Fail on my part. Afraid I am not of any assistance, as I rarely use mission editor - and have never taken over a flight from the mission editor screen, apologies for misunderstanding.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

The only advice I can offer is to 1) hold the autopilot buttons for half a second, don't just click and let go immediately and 2) the autothrottle won't engage if your throttle setting is very close to IDLE or very close to MIL, try engaging ATC with the throttle around the middle position.

Good luck man, I hope you figure it out. Does it AP work in a random ME generated mission (not the training one)?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

The only advice I can offer is to 1) hold the autopilot buttons for half a second, don't just click and let go immediately and 2) the autothrottle won't engage if your throttle setting is very close to IDLE or very close to MIL, try engaging ATC with the throttle around the middle position.

Good luck man, I hope you figure it out. Does it AP work in a random ME generated mission (not the training one)?

*SOLVED* I think I've solved the problem. In my settings the "GAME FLIGHT MODE WAS TICKED". After I unticked this setting I loaded up the Instant Action - Caucus FA-18C Ready On The Ramp scenario and flew it to check the autopilot was working 100% which it was. I then loaded the same into Mission Editor and without altering anything resaved it My Caucus FA-18C Ready On The Ramp and flew it. VIOLA the autopilot works perfectly.

Yeah, that’ll do it. It also would have prevented you from employing numerous weapons and other features of the game - so good you sorted that early. Thanks for letting us know.

Cheers,

Don