New to Harrier

irfanahmed1979

Hi,

I bought the Harrier on the Steam Halloween Sale. A few questions:

1. What happens if I don't log in to DCS for 6 months? I'm asking because all my other modules are older and don't require Internet activation.

2. Apart from Chuck's guide, is there any other resource for learning to fly this jet?

3. When will it finally leave early access?

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

1. Nothing happens. You'll be fine!

2. Razbam's Pocket guide (located in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Doc), the Harrier NATOPS (google it)... Baltic Dragon is also working on a brand new manual.

3. Your guess is as good as mine. So far, it's shaping up to be pretty decent already. Most functionalities you'd want in the Harrier gameplay-wise are already modelled. You can check my guide if you want to see what's currently offered in terms of features.

2. Razbam's Pocket guide (located in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Doc), the Harrier NATOPS (google it)... Baltic Dragon is also working on a brand new manual.

3. Your guess is as good as mine. So far, it's shaping up to be pretty decent already. Most functionalities you'd want in the Harrier gameplay-wise are already modelled. You can check my guide if you want to see what's currently offered in terms of features.

Thanks Chuck!

Had already downloaded your manual:thumbup:

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

Thank you guys. Currently repeating the cold and dark startup mission:smilewink:

Alright Chuck, I'm following your guide. Great job! BTW.:thumbup:

I'm currently practicing Cold & Dark startup, Taxi and conventional takeoff (CTO). So a few questions:

1. The speed that we set for NRAS, does it have any impact on the CTO? I mean it's the pilot that rotates the aircraft at that speed, you know, no TOGA or auto-throttle stuff.

2. The second one is I think related to the controls setup. I set the pitch, roll and yaw axis curvatures as stated in your guide. However, I did add dead-zones for them as my stick and rudder are a bit old now so the input keeps fluctuating with the pedal and stick centered. Basically during a CTO I can't get the Harrier to rotate (or pitch up) smoothly. When I reach the rotation speed and pull up it sort of noses up instantly; no smooth movement. Is that normal or do I need to tune the axes?:helpsmilie: and yes the stab trim is set to takeoff (2 degrees down).

3. When I turn on the RWR and countermeasure related stuff I get a caution/warning and two lights on the annunciator panel illuminate (CW NOGO & P NOGO). Sorry if I'm mixing up the terms (Master Caution/ Master Warning) and the lights because I'm still new. So, by default is the Harrier loaded with countermeasures or do we have to do it in the mission editor? Do these lights indicate that I have no Chaff/Flares?

4. I couldn't find the performance calculation charts anywhere, not even in the NATOPS manual.

Thanks

Edited by irfanahmed1979
Typo & changes

1. NRAS does not affect a CTO as you don't rotate the nozzles.

2. Thtas more or less a DCS Simulator against real life problem. You don't have the feeling in your butt and especially take offs are with most modules not as smooth as they should be IRL.

3. You get those two adversary lights because you also try to turn on the ECM (lowest knob) and you have not equipped the ECM pod.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

1. NRAS does not affect a CTO as you don't rotate the nozzles.

2. Thtas more or less a DCS Simulator against real life problem. You don't have the feeling in your butt and especially take offs are with most modules not as smooth as they should be IRL.

3. You get those two adversary lights because you also try to turn on the ECM (lowest knob) and you have not equipped the ECM pod.

Thankyou!

I can't avoid tail strikes on a conventional takeoff (CTO). Atleast it seems to be a tail strike or it's pretty close. Takeoff settings: Flaps=Auto, Stab Trim=-2, Nozzles=10 degrees, Rotate at 135 kts (no payload and full fuel). The thing protruding downwards from the tail of the plane seems to sometimes strike the surface of the runway. (Atleast in replays)

Axis settings for pitch: Deadzone=7, Curvature=15

roll: Deadzone=10, Curvature=10

At 135 knots I try my best to be gentle and pitch the nose up. However, the plane constantly fights my efforts to nose up. If I pull harder then it suddenly pitches up way too much. If I'm gently pulling on the stick then the nose hardly pitches up and I reach the end of the runway at Batumi and the speed is pretty high.

Is this normal? :helpsmilie:

Can you help with the above mentioned problem during conventional takeoff?

Alright, I found out that my flaps were not set to auto.

sorry Chuck