Pitch axis disabled on joystick when DLC axis bound to throttle TDC

mrkline

For the entire lifetime of the Tomcat, I've had issues where the pitch axis stops responding and turns red in the controls menu:

Uf6OzHa.png

Previously this only happened when a joystick (or TrackIR) was unplugged and replugged, but things got worse recently. In the current OB, the pitch axis is disabled any time I start the game with the DLC axis bound (to my throttle's TDC vertical axis, for what it's worth). If I delete that binding and restart the game, pitch works again. The only difference in the Lua file is as follows:

diff --git a/Config/Input/F-14B/joystick/Throttle - HOTAS Warthog {F4D9B430-8AD7-11e8-8002-444553540000}.diff.lua b/Config/Input/F-14B/joystick/Throttle - HOTAS Warthog {F4D9B430-8AD7-11e8-8002-444553540000}.diff.lua
index 9880e10..634882c 100644
--- a/Config/Input/F-14B/joystick/Throttle - HOTAS Warthog {F4D9B430-8AD7-11e8-8002-444553540000}.diff.lua
+++ b/Config/Input/F-14B/joystick/Throttle - HOTAS Warthog {F4D9B430-8AD7-11e8-8002-444553540000}.diff.lua
@@ -8,6 +8,14 @@ local diff = {
                               },
                       },
               },
+               ["a3083cd57"] = {
+                       ["added"] = {
+                               [1] = {
+                                       ["key"] = "JOY_Y",
+                               },
+                       },
+                       ["name"] = "DLC / Maneuver Flaps Retract",
+               },
       },
       ["keyDiffs"] = {
               ["d177pnilunilcdnilvdnilvpnilvunil"] = {

I do not have any controls mods (e.g., the front-seat LANTIRN mod) installed.

I run the same set-up without any problems - what is the second pitch binding off the right of your screenshot?

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

VJoy. I see the same behavior whether it's populated with the default binds (as shown in the picture) or whether I clear all axes from that virtual input device.

It's worth noting that I never see a similar problem with any other plane, or any other axis - just the Tomcat pilot's pitch. (RIO HCU is unaffected)

• 3 months later...

So, the bad news is that this bug is still present in the current OB (2.5.6.45915). The good news is that I was able to isolate it a bit more.

With the only binding change of mapping the DLC axis to my TM Warthog throttle's TDC:

Pwhb2M5.png

The pitch axis is disabled if and only if I launch the game with TrackIR running. With TrackIR, the row is red and the pitch axis doesn't function:

SVZxy0a.png

But if I launch the game without TrackIR running, pitch works fine:

ePEYOkb.png

To reiterate, this bug is unique to the Tomcat - I don't have any other axis bind issues with any other modules (A-10, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-18, JF-17, Mirage, FC3...)

I don't know about TiR software but is the vjoy device needed at all? Can you disable/remove it? What if you unbind all vjoy related? Try the last 'special' option for F-14.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I don't know about TiR software but is the vjoy device needed at all? Can you disable/remove it? What if you unbind all vjoy related? Try the last 'special' option for F-14.

Vjoy isn't a factor - the config I fly with has all of those axes unbound, and I have the same issue with the driver disabled. There's only vjoy bindings in the first screenshot because...

Now that is interesting. Have you tried deleting the control config files and re-binding everything from scratch?

That's exactly what the first screenshot shows - I'm able to reproduce it with TDC Y -> DLC as the only custom bind.