Radar tricks to catch and track short range targets?

fargo007

Hand the radar off to the pilot within 20NM... “you have the radar”, then get your eyes up and out and help in the fight.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Hand the radar off to the pilot within 20NM... “you have the radar”, then get your eyes up and out and help in the fight.
This, so much this ^^^^^.

The Tomcat crew is all bout shared resources and shared responsibilities - and those change substantially moving from BVR into close-in and then the merge/WVR.

DISCO

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F/A-18C | AV-8B NA | UH-1H | FC3 | Yak-52 | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA-342

i7 8700K | GTX 1070 Ti | 32GB 3000 DDR4

FAA Comm'l/Instrument, FAST Formation Wingman, Yak-52 Owner/Pilot

Like others have said. Within 15 mile's I tell the pilot to go PAL and then I start trying to visually acquire targets and look for threats so the pilot can concentrate on pointing the aircraft where it needs to be to lock the threat with the radar.

When merged, I have found MRL to be pretty handy. It saves some workload from the pilot

Plus: bind the IFF button to your controls and keep an eye out for auto-lockon’s by the pilot (PAL, VSL) - immediately IFF any auto-acquisitions and shout over the intercom if cooperative or not!

Also, label the target symbol as fast as possible on the TID to give the pilot additional visual IFF feedback!