VR zoom question

Vol4Ever

Correct USB3 cable finally came in yesterday and I was able to get in Hornet's cockpit VR for very first time! Still some settings kinks to work out, but it is absolutely amazing VR versus desktop monitor.

Desiring to learn as a sim purist, I was going through cold start tutorial last night rather than instant action. I had done it previously on monitor, but was trying on VR just to get used to interface. My problem was seeing text on switches. Didn't really matter on those simply being toggled on/off as name of switch highlights on mouse hover, but there are others where dials have to be rotated to specific settings. The only way I can see to confirm that is pure visual, especially since most of those controls are low use buttons that won't eventually be mapped to flight stick anyway. Is temporary zoom INSIDE VR possible? I was having to put my head almost in my lap to get it close enough to read button text, but thankfully I was the only person in the room! :D

Was also occasionally having to lift headset to see keyboard. That's going to be an ongoing struggle as my budget won't cover a fancy/schmancy flight stick yet. Some day! For now I'm having to fudge my way through with Xbox/Windows HOTAS One X which I already own. Once airborne, I wasn't having any trouble at all controlling the plane. Even did a controlled landing right on runway centerline first try . . . . and proceeded right off end of runway as I didn't know keybind for brakes. LOL

Just need to figure out if I can zoom inside headset when needed, or is it programmed to stay in "real life" spatial geometry feel?

~Vol

HOMEBREW RIG:

MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Mobo, Ryzen 7 3.9 GHz octo-core, 32 GB RAM, GeForce 1660 Ti, 512 GB Rocket NVMe SSD, 4 TB HDD, Oculus Quest 128 GB, Warthog HOTAS & Pedals (finally!!)

MODULES:

F/A-18C Hornet, Persian Gulf Map, Nevada Test Range Map

Correct USB3 cable finally came in yesterday and I was able to get in Hornet's cockpit VR for very first time! Still some settings kinks to work out, but it is absolutely amazing VR versus desktop monitor.

Desiring to learn as a sim purist, I was going through cold start tutorial last night rather than instant action. I had done it previously on monitor, but was trying on VR just to get used to interface. My problem was seeing text on switches. Didn't really matter on those simply being toggled on/off as name of switch highlights on mouse hover, but there are others where dials have to be rotated to specific settings. The only way I can see to confirm that is pure visual, especially since most of those controls are low use buttons that won't eventually be mapped to flight stick anyway. Is temporary zoom INSIDE VR possible? I was having to put my head almost in my lap to get it close enough to read button text, but thankfully I was the only person in the room! :D

Was also occasionally having to lift headset to see keyboard. That's going to be an ongoing struggle as my budget won't cover a fancy/schmancy flight stick yet. Some day! For now I'm having to fudge my way through with Xbox/Windows HOTAS One X which I already own. Once airborne, I wasn't having any trouble at all controlling the plane. Even did a controlled landing right on runway centerline first try . . . . and proceeded right off end of runway as I didn't know keybind for brakes. LOL

Just need to figure out if I can zoom inside headset when needed, or is it programmed to stay in "real life" spatial geometry feel?

~Vol

It’s in the controller settings for UI (I think). Just search VR and it will show up

Go to "controls"..."UI Layer" and set "Toggle VR Zoom" on your HOTAS if you have one. And for your other problem of seeing the keyboard there is a free program called "VoiceAttack" that will convert words into button presses. The free version gives you a max of 20 voice commands and the $10 version gives you unlimited commands. I love it in VR. Good luck and enjoy you new VR setup!