Universal VR sim pit

Andrew u.k.

At some point, I want to make boards with functional switches that can be interchanged and the mounting points should be able to be moved up/down/left/right and angles forward/back/left/right. Then I could use one adjustable frame to become any aircraft I want, I just have to build console and panel boards with USB interfaces to connect to the hosting frames.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, I was thinking of doing that, I started mounting my Mfds to the board but I couldn't get it to work correctly. It felt less natural than having nothing there.

I also need to re-work my throttle placement as it's too far forward and I have trouble accessing the cicu switches row.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Edited by Andrew u.k.

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided to give this another shot, this time without trying for fancy angles. I tested it out with some cardboard today and think I can make this work with a board that's straight 90 degrees to the floor, with space cut out in the middle for my legs and flight stick.

Have to buy wood tomorrow after work, but I've got a plan on mounting it to the cockpit that hopefully should work to quickly pick it up and move it out of the way.

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

It's well worth a go.

I've been flying the Huey recently and feel I need an overhead panel as my hand is floating too much. But as my kids laugh at me already, having a roof would tip them and my wife over the edge.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The problem I’m having now is that the panel is so high that when it’s in place, I can’t see my 2D monitor (a 42” 4KTV). So if I need to look outside VR it’s a real pain.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Unfortunately it’s not that simple with my cockpit. :(

Having a 42” TV up high enough to clear the panel means craning my neck like I was in the front row of a movie theater. Not happening. ;)

The only thing I can think of to use would be lexan. Unfortunately pieces that big would be around $100.

9b901413d6a04129f489081ef660f226.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

My local Lowes opens in an hour and a half. I'm thinking about going to get this. I should add that I get a 10% veteran discount.

My cockpit is 48" wide, so I can cut down the 72" side to that. The temp panel I built is exactly 36" higher than my side consoles, so the only thing I'd have to cut out of that side is space for the flight stick to move around. It's feasible.

I'm thinking about this because at work they've separated a lot of our stations by putting these types of sheets in between people's workbenches.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Universal VR sim pit

It’s a bit wobbly. I’m in the store now trying to decide if it will provide enough support. Probably so, since I won’t actually need to push buttons on it.

Edit: they didn’t have anyone present that could cut it, and at that price I’m not going to risk cutting a 36” straight line by myself.

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

I went into Staples and bought a trifold black foam board of the type you’d see on a school science project.

I cut out my notch for my legs and flight stick, and put some Velcro on the corners to hold it to the cockpit (the grey you see is outdoor carpet, and Velcro will stick to it). That and the two wooden posts the board is stapled to hold it in place, and when not using it, I can fold it in thirds.

54f9c8cb275162b70e8dd5948b82dd0b.jpg

102ba6f30b5c7a16ac5c0ed2230d88a1.jpg

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

I went into Staples and bought a trifold black foam board of the type you’d see on a school science project.

I cut out my notch for my legs and flight stick, and put some Velcro on the corners to hold it to the cockpit (the grey you see is outdoor carpet, and Velcro will stick to it). That and the two wooden posts the board is stapled to hold it in place, and when not using it, I can fold it in thirds.

54f9c8cb275162b70e8dd5948b82dd0b.jpg

102ba6f30b5c7a16ac5c0ed2230d88a1.jpg

RogueSqdn have you thought about searching and sourcing a local plastic vendor or store in your area other then local big box stores. Also local plastic shop would have the ability to cut it. Or a sign shop that might sell you partial or left overs from a project. I would think some form of 1/4" clear acrylic sheet would work good!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I haven't thought about that, really. I'm not familiar with any plastic shops in the area, though I do know where a sign shop is.

Tomorrow I'll ask the maintenance guys at work where the plastic sheets they're using are coming from.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler