Bug: MiG-29 autopilot unusable with FFB

N22YF

I have a Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, and the MiG-29's autopilot is unusable. When I activate an autopilot mode and don't touch the stick, the trim center moves in the controls indicator, but the stick remains motionless. However, if I move the stick at all, the stick then moves to give extreme pitch and roll inputs, sending the aircraft out of control. If I grab the stick and try to level the aircraft, the autopilot fights me. I have no problems with my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick (no force feedback), and I haven't noticed any problems with any other autopilots, including the Su-27's, which I believe is similar and works beautifully.

This is a problem on all MiG-29 variants.

Here are a couple video demonstrations:

I've seen this mentioned tangentially in other threads (e.g. here and here and here), but I didn't find a dedicated thread about this issue, so I thought it would be a good idea to start one.

I'm attaching a track file, the DCS log, and my DxDiag info.

Would love if this issue could be sorted out soon! It really makes the MiG-29 frustrating to fly, since it's impossible to trim it perfectly so I'm always having to correct to maintain altitude and can never take my hands off the stick.

MiG-29S autopilot.trk

DCS log (MiG-29 autopilot).zip

DxDiag.txt

Edited by N22YF

• 3 months later...

I just discovered that this issue seems to surface only if you take your hand off the stick while autopilot is engaged (which is typical, since you typically would need autopilot only when you want to take your hand off the stick). A workaround for the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 is to just tape over the hand sensor (which is located under the trigger button).

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

The SWFFB2 was a stick for the Zero Fighter when MS released the CFS2 for the Pacific Theater, and the seemingly insignificant grip sensor indicates the high quality of the product.

I gave up on the method of blocking the sensor because if I was not careful, the stick would start up with a violent noise the moment Windows started up.

The level flight AP button, a standard feature on Russian fighter grips, is stable in high-altitude cruising.

CPU:Core i7-2700K 4.8GHz

Mother Board:Asrock Z77Extreme6

Memory:G.SKILL DDR3-2133 16GB

Graphic Card:AMD HD7970 1125/1575MHz

Display:Eyefinity / Square x3