[REPORTED EARLIER] AGM 84D Harpoon loops back after missing target?

Lanlach

I am a hornet user who is currently having fun with the harpoon, one thing I noticed is that when flying in SKIM mode after detecting a ship, if the harpoon is not flying low enough, it will fly over the ship and then loop back by pulling an Immelmann style maneuver and fly to as high as 10k feet (as far as I can tell) before looping back down and hitting the previously detected ship in what seems to me like POP mode rather than SKIM. It will hit the target sometimes after pulling this loop at angles of 80 degrees.

My question is, is this at all realistic? I couldn't find a thread about it (maybe I missed something) but I would assume people have already experienced this when rifling (bruiser I think is the correct brevity code) a harpoon after enough tries, but to me this seems absurd! If anyone has information on this I would be very curious!

Thanks

Once I launched a harpoon, it went direcly backwards, then made a u turn and went for 30 miles and hit the target

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

That might be because you set the bearing or designated waypoint to be in front of you (depending on if you are in BOL or R/BL mode) and the fixed point or htpt to be behind you. This is confusing because I don't think the harpoon is capable of turning more than 90 degrees at launch or when passing the fixed point. So I think that might not be realistic. Had it locked on by the time it made a U turn?

I had 4 harpoons and I just set their headings, it was the same for all missiles. 3 of them went directly and one of them went to back with a U turnd then it made another U turn and hit the ship. It was a MP mission and 2 of my friends saw it and we all laughed a lot

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5