Suggestion for DCS, part 2

Ian_L

In the same line of thinking as the post about the joystick files, I decided to make a suggestion of my own, but at a different level. Reading all the forums, I find that my gamer "profile" is not too often encountered online, but must be a BIG part of the sim audience: I like to describe myself as a serious but casual simmer.

What does that mean? I like everything about simulators, I watch all the shows about planes and boats and all of that on Discovery, I know all the planes and weapon systems, my friends and family consider me a geek but... I do not have the time to play maybe more than 4 to 8 hours per week. Result: I do not play online because I am nowhere near the level of people playing there, yes I am still struggling in dogfights against the AI even just set at "good", etc.

However, when we are talking about a game's difficulty level, does that mean that I want unlimited fuel, easy flight model, and approaching a Patriot SAM site that behaves like a blind Hawk site? Of course not, because then I lose all the immersion factor!

Therefore, my suggestion to the developpers, and I am not sure how easy it is to do that, is to make the difficulty scalable, but NOT by removing the realism that differentiates sims from arcade games.

Suggestions: create shortcuts to complicated procedures:

- Have an auto-hover button;

- Have an intelligent label system (to facilitate spotting);

- Have multiple levels of difficulty for campaigns: for example, at the easy level, less SAM sites spawn, I'm fighting a 2 ship CAP instead of 4 ships, I have more fighter cover, etc... NOT the AI behaving like an idiot because I set it on easy.

I hope that this makes sense, and helps.

Happy flying!

Ian

• Like 1

You don't have to worry about that. Having capabilites of hardcore study sim BS hasn't forgotten the people who are not so fascinated of having realistic flight model or operating the countless switches in the cockpit. It is intended to cover the requirements if not of the entire community at least of the the majority (minus the fast movers fanbois :D).

To your suggestions:

- autohover- standart (and very helpful) mode of the autopilot- it's already there ;)

- labels- already in ;)

- the campaign engine is still WIP, and the AI is perhaps the major subject of the day;

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

AirTito,

I understand your answer, but I think you misunderstood my post slightly. The suggestions that I am talking about (and I realize that by now, for release being imminent in 2008, no new things can be added) are ways to make the sim more accessible to people who can practice less, but without compromising too much on realism.

Auto-Hover: Great!

Labels: I know labels are already in Lock-on, however, when talking about "intelligent" labels, I mean something like labels popping up at realistic ranges for different units types, dependant on altitude, weather, etc...

Campaign: Again, the scalability doesn't necessarily mean the AI, but adjust the opposing forces that you would face depending on the level of difficulty chosen. Example: At "hard" a column would contain AAA and SAM, at medium, just AAA, and at easy, perhaps no air defence. Or an opposing CAP at "hard" would be composed of 4 SU-27, at medium of 4 MIG-23, and at easy of only 2 MIG-23...

Just ideas. They could also apply to modders creating campaigns and mods.

Ian

...make the sim more accessible to people who can practice less, but without compromising too much on realism.

Of course, my point exactly- BS is by no means a compromise ;) I'll say it one more time- BS is aiming for both a person with huge experience and a person who has heard the word 'flight simulator' just now.

Labels: I know labels are already in Lock-on, however, when talking about "intelligent" labels, I mean something like labels popping up at realistic ranges for different units types, dependant on altitude, weather, etc...

I understand what you mean but I can only express my personal opinion- IRL there are no labels and this is the primary thing I disable in any flight sim since Il-2 (which I believe was the first title introducing this 'feature'). Perhaps it's useful for training but I intentionaly avoid using them- creates wrong habits, at least for me :)

Campaign: Again, the scalability doesn't necessarily mean the AI, but adjust the opposing forces that you would face depending on the level of difficulty chosen. Example: At "hard" a column would contain AAA and SAM, at medium, just AAA, and at easy, perhaps no air defence. Or an opposing CAP at "hard" would be composed of 4 SU-27, at medium of 4 MIG-23, and at easy of only 2 MIG-23...

The logic is far more complicated and is yet to be polished.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

My worry is that the 'Falcon 4 like' Dynamic Campaign will not be implemented... as I read some note, somewhere in this forum, it looks like that is taking a back burner, and that a comprimise will be made and a scalable campaign will be put in, until sometime 'maybe' at a later date or patch the dynamic campaign 'might' be added.

If so, that's a bummer.... hopefully, something can be made for the first release that is really fully dynamic...

:joystick:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR