Takeoff issues with rudder

Low Blow

Not sure if it has been mentioned.... put in a hefty amount of curve in the rudder axis and maybe a little dead zone... Even with a good crosswind I can keep it damn near centerline on my roll. Yes it is sensitive, but there are ways around that...

Also keep in mind each rudder (physical) is going to be different.

Just tame it with some axis curve and move on...

The problem is no the rudder axis per se.

In the air you need a good linear range of 0% to 100% for the real rudder.

On the ground and during landing / takeoff with NWS enabled, though you can't give more than 10% rudder input or it will be a 90° rotated nosewheel.

So these two ares don't line up at all. It's like driving a manual car with a really bad clutch.

You land, roll out .. and the slower you get the more rudder you need to give to stay on the line.

Then at a defined point, you need to switch to NWS. And at that instance, you need to immediatly let go of the rudder or it will flip your plane as the rudder input for NWS is just 10 times as sensitive as it is for the rudder control surface.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

This has improved considerably in the Open Beta.

Not really. Like I said, there is still a massive difference between the NWS on Viper and NWS on other jets. The NWS we have right now is not easy to use at all. Under heavy crosswind with asymmetrical loadouts, you probably need cyborg legs to steer the jet accurately without becoming a fireball on the runway when takeoff.

I just switched from stable to beta, and it seems to me that it practically fly's off the ground now without hardly touching the stick. Either that or I'm getting better at this. :)

We are talking about NWS and rudder issues here. The problem is not with the flight stick... IDK what were you thinking by posting this comment, did you mean without hardly touching the rudder? Well you do not need to touch the rudder if there is no crosswinds, asymmetrical loadouts, and you lined your jet perfectly...

Try takeoff with massive crosswinds and asymmetrical loadouts in both stable and beta, you will see the problem what we are talking about...

Maybe they did some work with NWS and made it "better" (although they didn't mention anything about improving NWS handling in all the patch notes), but it is still very very hard to use at the moment. Like I said, much more difficult to use compare to all other jets in DCS.

And they listed improving NWS handling when takeoff in the roadmap of the Viper they just announced not long ago. If you are happy with how it is now, then fine. Most ppl are not...

I can't believe why we have to discuss this here and find funny words to describe it.

Anyone that sits in the cockpit and uses the rudder with NWS on the ground and in the air is hit by this in the face.

I see no point in explaining this any more. Defect report has been filed. Either it gets fixed or there is a good explanation why it's supposed to be the way it is unlike any other plane.

Same with the HUD Boresight circle. I really don't understand why it has to be explained when the problem can be seen, as it's immediatly visible in a hot started jet when looking outside. I don't get these things anymore. It makes me feel quite weary.

I'd rather spent my time here either helping fellow F-16 nerds or filing a bug report that's not immediatly obvious but actually something that might have slipped through.

I just want the plane to be realistic, that's all.

Edited by deadpool

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

I can't believe why we have to discuss this here and find funny words to describe it.

Anyone that sits in the cockpit and uses the rudder with NWS on the ground and in the air is hit by this in the face.

I see no point in explaining this any more. Defect report has been filed. Either it gets fixed or there is a good explanation why it's supposed to be the way it is unlike any other plane.

Same with the HUD Boresight circle. I really don't understand why it has to be explained when the problem can be seen, as it's immediatly visible in a hot started jet when looking outside. I don't get these things anymore. It makes me feel quite weary.

I'd rather spent my time here either helping fellow F-16 nerds or filing a bug report that's not immediatly obvious but actually something that might have slipped through.

I just want the plane to be realistic, that's all.

I feel the same deadpool. The Viper still needs a lot of work, and I understand ED needs time to get everything right, but obvious problems should be recognized right away. I mean anyone who flies the Viper should know that what is working on the jet and what is not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...