Aircraft self-shadow draw distance

GunSlingerAUS

I'm practicing formation flying with my squadron, and the draw distance of shadows on the other aircraft is, well, horrible. When I'm about 30 feet away, the shadows on lead's aircraft are constantly swapping between the sharp and soft ones, drawing back and forth over his aircraft as I drift in and out of formation.

It's a huge immersion breaker - is there a way to fix this with a LUA tweak or similar? Kinda like the ability to increase the shadow resolution in the cockpit?

Note, I have all gfx options maxed, 4K resolution, except the relatively new screenspace reflections option.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That is annoying too, but it's not the only issue, and I believe he's mentioning the transition from the High LOD shadow to a lower LOD that kicks in over and above what you've linked when you're about half of the distance from the Aircraft that you are in the video.

I'm with the OP, it kills immersion when flying off your wingman. I've been searching for ages to try and find a way of getting rid of the high LOD shadows entirely.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...

Well its been reported forever and there's still no fix. The Lod distance is like 20 meters or so before you get extremely bad flickering soft shadows. At this point its just not acceptable.  So excuse my language when i say what the f are you doing ED when you cant fix or at least give us a shadow lod distance option?  Tree shadow res and such is a flickering mess too and we have to install Kegetys VR mod to fix it. Why cant you add this to the game? 

Added multi-sampled terrain shadow sampling (less aliased shadows with MSAA)
– Added alpha-to-coverage support for trees and tree flat shadows (less aliased trees with MSAA)

There's so many issues with easy fixes that are just not acknowledged and completely ignored

Edited by trigen

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc