Make f-14 ai launch TALD

gregfp66

I did it recently (2 or 3 weeks ago) just to see if I could, and I think I even got the AI to drop all 4. I don't remember the specifics, but I recall having to specify which "bomb types" they would drop (and if I recall, it was technically an AGM). This was on the most recent Stable version, so I don't know if something changed with one of the recent OBs.

Play around with the different roles and tasks and it should work. I'll see if I saved the mission where I got it to work (but I don't think I did).

I didn't find the mission, but I created a new one and it's pretty simple. I haven't played with it too much, but I got 1 AI F-14 to drop all 4 TALDs.

Set the Task to Ground Attack, and set up an Advanced Waypoint Action with a Bombing Task.

Weapon: -ASM

REL QTY: All

Attack QTY: 1

Altitude Above: 19,000 (I set the initial altitude of the Tomcat at 20k).

I set up a few Hawk batteries, placed the F-14 a few miles outside their range, and set WP 1 at the border of Hawks' range. The Bombing Action was for WP 1. He dropped all 4 TALDs at WP 1 and started evading immediately after dropping them.

As I mentioned, I haven't played with it much, so I haven't tried to release a decoy at separate times/waypoints, or drop when farther out or closer in, or anything like that. And again, this is on Stable, so I have no idea how it behaves in OB. Hopefully that helps a bit.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/3/2020 at 1:42 PM, SpikeGondorff said:

I didn't find the mission, but I created a new one and it's pretty simple. I haven't played with it too much, but I got 1 AI F-14 to drop all 4 TALDs.

Set the Task to Ground Attack, and set up an Advanced Waypoint Action with a Bombing Task.

Weapon: -ASM

REL QTY: All

Attack QTY: 1

Altitude Above: 19,000 (I set the initial altitude of the Tomcat at 20k).

I set up a few Hawk batteries, placed the F-14 a few miles outside their range, and set WP 1 at the border of Hawks' range. The Bombing Action was for WP 1. He dropped all 4 TALDs at WP 1 and started evading immediately after dropping them.

As I mentioned, I haven't played with it much, so I haven't tried to release a decoy at separate times/waypoints, or drop when farther out or closer in, or anything like that. And again, this is on Stable, so I have no idea how it behaves in OB. Hopefully that helps a bit.

I just wanted to thank you for this instruction. I was looking for a way to do this and came across this information. I tried it with a SA6. They did release properly, however the SA6 did not fire upon the Decoy's. It did  fire once, but it was at the F14 which was turning cold. So maybe other types of SAM sites will fire, I will test more. But this was great help!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 4:56 PM, chase said:

I just wanted to thank you for this instruction. I was looking for a way to do this and came across this information. I tried it with a SA6. They did release properly, however the SA6 did not fire upon the Decoy's. It did  fire once, but it was at the F14 which was turning cold. So maybe other types of SAM sites will fire, I will test more. But this was great help!

Glad it helped!  I don't think I tried it with an SA-6, but when I played with the Hawk batteries, they had a tough time hitting all 4.  I think in one of my tests one of the decoys actually hit the ground despite multiple launches against it.  So (at least several months ago), the Hawk SAM system would thoroughly engage.  Good luck with it!