High G with large bombs

Spurts

I couldn't find any existing threads on the subject, so I apologize if this is a repeat.

HB is in a unique situation to have a plane that has a G limit determined only by how much lift is available and at what point things break. AFAIK You COULD load up four Mk84s and go out and pull 11.5G with possibly no ill effects. I get that the airframe and systems (INS) can handle it, but what about the pylons or the bolts holding the bombs in place? Can a tunnel mount withstand a Mk84 pulling away with 23,000lb of force and not shear?

Is it too difficult to code an "uncommanded jettison" of large AG stores at high G? Does the design team even have documentation for Pylon limits or NATOPS Stores limits?

I love the team's attention to detail and desire to make it right, so I was just wondering if the whole unrestricted maneuvering with bombs is based in fact or simply a lack of information/ability to implement a failure. I am okay with either answer, I would just like to know.

We don't know what the G limits for pylons were, maybe that at some point you would get an unexpected detachment, but mind you the 6.5G limit was not something that was not respected by pilots. So it likely is a safe limit for the pylons as well. How far beyond that something would break indeed, we just do not know.

Most likely it could withstand forces higher than 6.5G, but we can't be sure. It's most likely something we won't model. Or maybe after EA, if we have some time to dwell into the "would be cool to have" stuff.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thanks for the reply Iron Mike.

I know the 6.5 G limit later in life was ignored often enough. The Strike Eagle manual is the only one I know of that gives full CAS/Mach/G limits for all stores for carriage and employment. If I were to "wing it" I would likely start there and give a 50% safety factor before an unexpected detachment. But you guys have WAY more important things going on right now.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to this, and so many other questions/complaints/desires the community throws up on these boards. The HeatBlur team is a cut above the rest.

Thanks for the kind words bud. We do it with the utmost pleasure.

Yes, these kind of things are all nicities, that still take a ton of time to do, and at some point you need to start making decisions. I mean, our own list of what would be nice to have is already so long, 98% of it will just never happen. But it is also all stuff that is not really needed. One big part of that are for example electronic buses. What a horrible load of work it would be, for no player benefit of all. Yes, awesome if it works, but at some point you get diminishing returns. As you know we already strain ourselves with a really large amount of additional content on top of what other modules offer, so the balancing, especially post launch, is even more important. I hope that makes sense. But, we note these kind of things down, and maybe, some day, the time is just right to do it afterall.

What are the exact pylon values for the F-15 btw? They could very well be a good match for a kitty.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

Thanks for the kind words bud. We do it with the utmost pleasure.

Yes, these kind of things are all nicities, that still take a ton of time to do, and at some point you need to start making decisions. I mean, our own list of what would be nice to have is already so long, 98% of it will just never happen. But it is also all stuff that is not really needed. One big part of that are for example electronic buses. What a horrible load of work it would be, for no player benefit of all. Yes, awesome if it works, but at some point you get diminishing returns. As you know we already strain ourselves with a really large amount of additional content on top of what other modules offer, so the balancing, especially post launch, is even more important. I hope that makes sense. But, we note these kind of things down, and maybe, some day, the time is just right to do it afterall.

What are the exact pylon values for the F-15 btw? They could very well be a good match for a kitty.

NWP 3-22.5-F14A/B/D?

IMG_20200912_141737.thumb.JPG.ba2ad8a18958bf616ef236e0a8d6ceea.JPG

EDITED: Thank you for the share FWind, but unfortunately these numbers do not indicate the real limit, when an ordnance would have a failure or even detach. I think the guys meant rather that we never found any numbers about that, say from tests etc. So we are not sure how to exactly model it. But, as all your great suggestions, we will take it on board and dwell about it.

Naquaii also just added that these numbers are set with quite a decent safety margin and the likely outcome of an over G would be malfunctions. Having them rip from the pylons is very unlikely. The most likely outcome would be either munition malfunctioning or being stuck to the pylon. You'd likely have to over G it quite a bit or sustained. So the implementation would be quite speculative with little added value to the player.

The guys were well aware of these numbers you shared (I wasn't), but the real numbers, that would be important for modeling such failures are just not available.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations