Sparrows get trashed by a single chaff or go dumb off the rail

dssrtfx

Our Sparrows are getting trashed by single chaff dispenses. Shouldn't they be better? They work on the Hornet just fine, it seems!

Or I and several other people are bad at shooting missiles, but in that case, what are we doing wrong?

This first Tacview example is using the latest patch, 2.5.6.55363:

Tacview "Sparrow Problems - 1.zip.acmi" shows 2x Tomcats ("Bengal 1-1 | LBJ" and "Bengal 1-2 | Ravenhold") shooting 3x total Sparrows.

Both Tomcats had good locks: Bengal 1-2 had PD-STT all the way through, Bengal 1-1 locked his target up with...I believe it was a PD-STT lock from RWS that we switched to P-STT when we thought he was about to go into the notch filter.

Bengal 1-1's Sparrow looks like it goes dumb the instant the target dispenses a chaff cartridge.

Bengal 1-2's Sparrows look like they are tracking for several seconds, but do go dumb.

The two following examples were on patch 2.5.6.54046:

"Sparrow Problems - 2a.zip.acmi" showing a different player ("[CVW-69] Schlumpy") getting a good ACM lock on a Su-25T but the Sparrow goes dumb off the rails. No chaff is involved.

"Sparrow Problems - 2b.zip.acmi" shows a Sparrow actually working: "Ravenhold" gets a Sparrow that tracks all the way, but is defeated, I'm assuming, by a good maneuver from the target. I include this example because it looks like it should have missed, going off of the "Sparrow Problems - 1" three examples: a maneuvering target dispensing chaff and flying perpendicular to target's path.

Again: if I'm just dumb and don't know how missiles work, feel free to point it out. However, I remember Sparrows working much better in the earlier part of the year.

Edited by dsrtfx

Thank you, although I think we adjusted them. We'll take a look, but this could be a DCS issue, we need to compare if our code matches theirs.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Our Sparrows are getting trashed by single chaff dispenses. Shouldn't they be better? They work on the Hornet just fine, it seems!

Or I and several other people are bad at shooting missiles, but in that case, what are we doing wrong?

This first Tacview example is using the latest patch, 2.5.6.55363:

Again: if I'm just dumb and don't know how missiles work, feel free to point it out. However, I remember Sparrows working much better in the earlier part of the year.

Are you sure you guys are on the latest OB? I just flew the F-14 in SP (my internet connection is still too wobbly for MP) and they actually work better then the old ones.

Thank you, although I think we adjusted them. We'll take a look, but this could be a DCS issue, we need to compare if our code matches theirs.

Yeah, i think you did. They are much more reliable now. And that's with the bandits chaffing all the time

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache