Vertical speed indicator not accurate.

OssOr

Hi!

I barely post so I'm not too sure I should post this here, but I will since this is Yak's forum.

I have been taking notes on some DCS aircraft climb performances using the TAC view and without it with a chronometer, and after many tries I noticed the Yak-52 vertical speed indicator is showing 1/3, or so, less vertical speed than it really climbs. I guess that would be not important if it was a bit less, but I think it's a lot of difference from the real climb and would be nice if it was looked into.

An example: climbing to 2.000 meters from 200 feet takes me around 5 minutes and 50 seconds (which is equivalent to 5,8 m/s aprox), but the cockpit is actually reading less than 4 m/s vertical speed. I'ts just an example of one of the tries but I did many and at different altitudes and every time the difference is similar.

Sorry if this is unimportant, and for my basic english ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, easier and faster that way!

I just did a few tests, all of them with vertical speed in cockpit showing 3m/s sustained during a few minutes, so I could take more than 5-6 readings. For example, it took me exactly 1 minute from 500 feet altitude to 1.400 feet (900 feet/minute) keeping the vertical speed indicator showing exactly 3 m/s. That would mean every minute I should have climbed 590,5 feet, when I actually climbed 900, which means 4,57 m/s, and not 3 as the Yak was showing.

I guess it's not very important when flying since all the important data for climb profiles usually points speed and altitude, but I thought maybe someone would see it worth knowing.

• 9 months later...