[FUTURE IMPLEMENTATION] GAU-12 Gunpod needs both SAPHEI-T and API pods

Sephryn

Hello,

This post is outlining the issue with the current gunpod on the Harrier. Initially it was API and acted according to how the gunpod was designed to work on the Harrier. Several months ago it was changed to SAPHEI-T instead, however, there is no option to change ammunition within the gunpod. Unfortunately with the switch to the new ammunition it does no damage to targets such as a BMP-3 or Bradley, vehicles which should be easily destroyed by the GAU-12. Several weeks after the initial switch there was an attempt to change the SAPHEI-T to be more damaging however it would not damage Linebackers but would damage Bradleys, the damage was very low, and I found myself firing over 1/2 of my gunpod ammunition into a single BMP to kill it.

The GAU-12 as referenced in this:

link is designed to penetrate light and medium armored vehicles. At 10:35 the narrator explains the max armor penetration values from testing (2.7in)

Attached is a track file that contains a test range of 6 vehicles: T-72, T-55, BMP-3, Linebacker, Bradley, and a Paladin. The controls in this test are the T-72 (something it should NOT be able to penetrate/kill) and a Paladin (something it can CURRENTLY penetrate/kill) Tests were done from various angles on each of the vehicles. I am not a crackshot but I hit each vehicle enough to determine if it would take any form of damage from the gunpod.

The results: The Paladin control was destroyed. Every other vehicle sustained no damage from the gun runs with SAPHEI-T. Previously every vehicle in this lineup would have been destroyed or at least taken some form of damage from the API gunpod except the T-72 in most cases

Conclusion: The GAU-12 gunpod that used to be API belts worked perfectly. The SAPHEI-T does not. On an aircraft designed to engage ground targets with its gunpod this is what I would consider a major flaw in the module as a whole. Zeus and Prowler have both acknowledged this issue on the RAZBAM discord (Reference: https://imgur.com/a/XNvzIch)

I would like to request that the API gunpod either be reinstated, or as both Zeus and Prowler suggested that it be added as a second gunpod loadout so we can select either API or SAPHEI-T depending on the mission we are trying to fly.

Thanks,

Sephryn

Harrier SAPHEI-T Gunpod Test.trk

As stated by both Prowler and Zeus prior to my arrival, no confirmation was made that it would be reinstated. It is under review and should the decision be made to add it then it will come in the form of a dedicated separate gun pod.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

So.....RAZBAM chose to replace good API-T ammo for bad SAPHEI-T ammo that is ineffective and maybe you will fix it. Given that both items are already available assets that seems like the poorest choice possible from RAZBAM. Wow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

its not bad, it just has a separate purpose. And as stated above this may be implemented as a second gunpod in the future.

Moving to resolved as FUTURE IMPLEMENTATION

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• 3 weeks later...

As requested for the newest update, I retested the gunpod on the harrier once again and came to worse results than before. Previously the SAPHEI-T would kill the Paladin (the only unit killable by the gunpod in my lineup) from any angle. This update it has done no damage whatsoever to the Paladin. Whatever was changed this last update has made SAPHEI-T even more ineffective against light, medium, and heavy armor than it already was.

Attached is the updated track file, I made 2 passes at the paladin just to make sure I hit it and that it did no damage.

Harrier SAPHEI-T Gunpod Test2.trk

• 3 months later...

Why was it changed in the first place? If its because of a real life change in ammo usage then surely it would have been better to have both types available in the load out screen and give the user an additional option rather than force them to use whats historically correct, I know this is a simulation and things should be kept as real as possible but what if you want to recreate ops at a time period when API was the norm?

Edited by Dr Zaius

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

• 3 months later...
On 2/25/2021 at 8:01 PM, Dr Zaius said:

Why was it changed in the first place? If its because of a real life change in ammo usage then surely it would have been better to have both types available in the load out screen and give the user an additional option rather than force them to use whats historically correct, I know this is a simulation and things should be kept as real as possible but what if you want to recreate ops at a time period when API was the norm?

Didn't see this until now, sorry. Apparently the specific version of the harrier being modelled no longer uses API rounds in favor of APKWS instead. That being said, when Elmo asked the SME about them he said that it's only a belt change. 25mm API isn't in use anymore but if there happened to be a belt laying around then it could be used in the gunpod right out the box with no additional changes.

I agree we would have the ability to use both, hopefully RAZBAM will implement this.

On 5/29/2021 at 5:13 PM, Sephryn said:I agree we would have the ability to use both, hopefully RAZBAM will implement this.

Yeah I wouldn’t hold my breath with that one..

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9