[ALREADY REPORTED]‘Sticky’ external camera movement with high polling rate of mice

Aarnoman

DCS Version: DCS 2.5.6.57264

Brief description of bug: When the mouse uses a high polling rate (such as 500hz or 1000hz), external camera movements become ‘sticky’. This effect is independent of frame time. Even on low polling rates, issues with 'speed-brackets' exist.

Expected behaviour: External camera movement should remain smooth regardless of mouse polling rate. As most modern computer mice use 1000hz polling (particularly ‘gaming mice), this problem affects a major proportion of the DCS userbase.

Why is this important: This sticky mouse movement creates a false perception of in-game lag when external cameras are used. This issue particularly affects content creators making videos with DCS.

To reproduce:

1. Ensure mouse polling rate is set to 1000hz. In my testing, I have used my default 1600DPI setting, with the problem appearing to persist even when set to higher DPI of 3200.
  2. Enter a mission with a unit on the ground.
  3. Enter external view (eg F2). Note this problem affects any external view (F2/F3/F6/F7/F11 have all been tested with reproduction of the issue).
  4. Move mouse slowly left or right in a smooth, continuous motion.
  5. Note that camera movement will become ‘sticky’.
  6. Alter speed of movement slightly to be slower/faster.

1. Observe distinct ‘speed-bands’, where the rotation is smooth but not reflective of mouse speed. For more information, consult attached video.
    2. Note these distinct speed-bands are NOT the same bug as polling rate. Speeds bands and polling rate appear to be interacting synergistically to produce the effect of stutters however.

[*]After observing this effect, lower mouse polling rate to 500hz and repeat steps 2-6.

1. Observe for a reduction in magnitude of the ‘stickiness’ effect.

[*]Repeat steps 2-6 after lowering mouse polling rate to 125hz

1. Observe ‘stickiness’ effect has reduced further.

[*]Observe that at all polling rates, there is a set minimum speed below which cannot rotate. It appears the current in-engine implementation of camera rotation has fixed ‘speed bands’, further contributing to non-smooth camera rotation behaviour. Note this problem affects rotation in both pitch (up-down) and yaw (left-right) axis.

As far as I am able to elucidate from the data gathered, the 'stickiness' due to polling rate and speed bracket issue are related but not the same bug. However, I have reported as one bug here as they operate synergistically in producing the overall effect that is similar to lag stutter. All testing was conducted with no dropped frames (constant 60fps).

Video documenting this effect:

Mission file used to for testing attached.

CameraTest.miz

• ED Team

I have added your thread to a report we already have open.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

This is still an active bug.

The impact of high polling rate appears solved with current patch - 2.5.6.59398.

However, stickiness with slow movements remains, as a result of minimum 'speed gates'.

Follow instructions of video in original bug report to replicate - very slow movement of mouse in external camera view will result in smooth motions of a set speed, with fixed velocity. This results in 'stuttering' experience when threshold in increase/decrease of lateral mouse movement exceeds the threshold to move on to the next rotational speed.

If this description is unclear let me know, I can make another video demonstrating the issue more clearly.

Edited by Aarnoman