Is there a list of unit line of sight values I can look at?

MobiSev

I know that each unit has a different value that they can "see" ground units. Is there a list i can look at these? or is there somewhere i can go to find them?

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

I don't know if there's a list and I'm not sure what you mean, but personally when I want to know units weapon ranges I plonk them on the map in the editor like below and measure their ranges (the red circles) with the range tool, and write down the ranges on a piece of paper for posterity..:)

For example the highlighted unit is a Bradley and its TOW missiles have got a range of about 2 nm-

ranges99.png

• Thanks 1

I don't know if there's a list and I'm not sure what you mean, but personally when I want to know units weapon ranges I plonk them on the map in the editor like below and measure their ranges (the red circles) with the range tool, and write down the ranges on a piece of paper for posterity..:)

For example the highlighted unit is a Bradley and its TOW missiles have got a range of about 2 nm-

True, but i have noticed that some units can "see" or detect others (i.e. the enemy unit icon appears on the map while in fog of war mode) before they get into firing range. That's what I meant.

For example, the icons of enemy units approaching the abrams on flat terrain and no obstacles at around 6km, which is further than its gun range.

Another example is the MQ-9 Reaper UAV. It has an absolute massive detection range and icons of units will appear on the map for a good 20-30 mile radius

I just didn't know if there was a list that detailed these values

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

I've only had Comb Arms for a few months and a lot of it is still as much a mystery to me as women are, but let me toss the pics below into the playpen which might give us a clue-

1st pic- I place a blue Abrams and a Red BTR APC on opposite side of a hill and click the circled options.

2nd pic- I start the game and my Abrams can't see the enemy unit on the map because that hill's in the way.

3rd pic- I drive the Abrams onto the hilltop and the APC appears on the map because the Abrams can now see it.

4th Pic- the Abrams opens fire on the APC, it's just a dot (circled) because I've turned the labels off.

los.png

Tactical note: I hopped out of the tank (Rt-Alt-J) and let the AI gunner spot and shoot at the target because his eyesight is probably better than mine at seeing dots..:)

Tactical note: I hopped out of the tank (Rt-Alt-J) and let the AI gunner spot and shoot at the target because his eyesight is probably better than mine at seeing dots..:)

I've been wondering how true CA experts deal with this. Do they just bring the ground units into a general area and let the AI take it from there, or do they really duell with the AI mano a mano? Whenever I drive a ground unit in DCS, I get killed by enemy ground units that still seem to spot me through forests or sit behind houses - as soon as I'm around the corner they react and kill me. I do admit that my tactics definitely need a brush-up, but I feel that the AI is so much more deadly than a human player.

Any tactical advice?

• Like 1

I've been wondering how true CA experts deal with this. Do they just bring the ground units into a general area and let the AI take it from there, or do they really duell with the AI mano a mano? Whenever I drive a ground unit in DCS, I get killed by enemy ground units that still seem to spot me through forests or sit behind houses - as soon as I'm around the corner they react and kill me. I do admit that my tactics definitely need a brush-up, but I feel that the AI is so much more deadly than a human player.

Any tactical advice?

My experience is that the devs of all wargames give AI units a little extra help to stop us walking all over them.

Tactically it all depends on what sort of DCS scenario we're playing, and whether we're attacking or defending, and what sort of units we and the enemy have got in our toyboxes.

I find being the defender is easiest because we can set up lines of fire to form killing grounds to toast any AI units that enter them.

Attacking is a little more risky, but I find concentration of force is best because if an enemy zaps one of my units there will always be friendly units close at hand to exact terrible revenge.

WW2 doctrine still holds true today-

Gen. Guderian- "Punch with your fist and not with spread fingers"

Rommel- "Concentrate strength at one point, force a breakthrough.."

PoorOldSpike- "Make war like you make love, quickly, brutally, decisively"

cartoon-soldier-army-tank_zpshdlh1i56.jpg~original