INR

Joni

So according to wags video on the viper tips about the TGP, the pilot needs to manually select INR before masking the LOS. I was wondering why in the a10c it is automatically commanded?

And how about the Hornet? While in OPR mode the LOS doesn't change a bit after masking (realistic?), and during area or point track we can see the legend MEM flashing when it is masked. Neither of which shows any kind of deviation from original LOS, is that realistic too?

Thanks.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

Well, Wags said the newer software suite of the A-10C would make this manual switching obsolete.

Cant say I share the same experience in the Hornet as you do.

I always have my fair share of issues with the TGP. After beeing masked, my TGP looks at a completly different point on the ground.

Which mode on the Hornet Lightning TGP would be the right mode before masking the TGP?

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

6 hours ago, Gruman said:

Well, Wags said the newer software suite of the A-10C would make this manual switching obsolete.

Cant say I share the same experience in the Hornet as you do.

I always have my fair share of issues with the TGP. After beeing masked, my TGP looks at a completly different point on the ground.

Which mode on the Hornet Lightning TGP would be the right mode before masking the TGP?

For me the TGP is always perfect no matter the mode. I tested it thoroughly.

Do you have a track so I can see?

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

The INR revert mode must have been something added to later version of the LITENING. Don't forget that our F-16CM is from ~2007. My estimated guess about that tech is that the aircraft masking would induce a dramatic drift in the recognized AREA or POINT track (remember that these modes are matching an image pattern with what's being seen by the pod and updating that pattern in real-time). Newer LITENING probably simply have a logic for detecting a large change in the image pattern and reverting the pod automatically to INR.

INR basically looks at the slant range and position of the "gazed point" and infer its geographical location, then tries to maintain the pod on target by knowing where the aircraft is. This is thus prone to INS/GPS errors and drift (if applicable).

The "OPR" Hornet mode is already INR. It doesn't track a scene, but simply track a reference point using the INS and slant range (either via laser ranging or something like the DTED - digital terrain elevation database). In the Hornet, you have to manually force the AREA or POINT track after which you cannot move your designation.

16 minutes ago, toilet2000 said:

The INR revert mode must have been something added to later version of the LITENING. Don't forget that our F-16CM is from ~2007. My estimated guess about that tech is that the aircraft masking would induce a dramatic drift in the recognized AREA or POINT track (remember that these modes are matching an image pattern with what's being seen by the pod and updating that pattern in real-time). Newer LITENING probably simply have a logic for detecting a large change in the image pattern and reverting the pod automatically to INR.

INR basically looks at the slant range and position of the "gazed point" and infer its geographical location, then tries to maintain the pod on target by knowing where the aircraft is. This is thus prone to INS/GPS errors and drift (if applicable).

The "OPR" Hornet mode is already INR. It doesn't track a scene, but simply track a reference point using the INS and slant range (either via laser ranging or something like the DTED - digital terrain elevation database). In the Hornet, you have to manually force the AREA or POINT track after which you cannot move your designation.

See this:

IMHO the TGP in the hornet is like an arcade game. It just perfectly knows everything, points in the right spot all the time, etc.

I do not think it is realistic the way ED did it.

The OPR/INR of the hornet just won't drift not even one centimeter if you pull Gs.

Edited by Joni