[How to] Multi monitor MFCD display export set-up guide - July 2023 (updated)

jonsky7

On 1/29/2023 at 11:55 PM, JIGGAwest said:

I'm pretty sure you can't use that zip file posted on page 1 in your guide anymore. I think There is mismatch in those luas. Probably a newer version was added to the game.  

I'd make sure people are using the copy and edit method rather than just copying those edits from that zip.

Actually I think you were correct, the map wasn't showing in mine, I don't often get that far in the knneboard.

I've updated it. Should be ok now. It opens with a blank grey page. Not sure if that is standard or not, didn't test it with mod disabled, but it seems to scroll through the pages ok.

Updated on first page also, cheers

Kneeboard.zip

• Like 1

First of all: Thank you very much for this guide. It finally worked! Iam surprised why something like this is so "difficult"...

But i still have a problem and Iam not sure if its possible:

I have 3 screens.

1-1920x1080, 2-2560x1440, 3-1440x900(Touchscreen)

This is my order in windows and my physical one.

My Mainscreen is 2. I want the mfds on 3.

But i still want to use 1. as my normal browsing Screen. 

Is that possible or do i really need to set it like 1-3-2?

I mean, atleast it works this way. Its just a bit stupid that i need to go to the right with my mouse to reach the left screen.😅

1 hour ago, Mek_101 said:

First of all: Thank you very much for this guide. It finally worked! Iam surprised why something like this is so "difficult"...

But i still have a problem and Iam not sure if its possible:

I have 3 screens.

1-1920x1080, 2-2560x1440, 3-1440x900(Touchscreen)

This is my order in windows and my physical one.

My Mainscreen is 2. I want the mfds on 3.

But i still want to use 1. as my normal browsing Screen. 

Is that possible or do i really need to set it like 1-3-2?

I mean, atleast it works this way. Its just a bit stupid that i need to go to the right with my mouse to reach the left screen.😅

I havent tested it personally but when you set up your resolution, just do the two displays you want to use. 

In your case, 2 and 3.

So 4000x1440.

Your Center viewport will be

X=0

Y=0

Width=2560

Height=1440

LEFT_MFCD (something like)

X=2560

Y=540

Width=720

Height=720

RIGHT_MFCD

X=3280

Y=540

Width=720

Height= 720

If it works like it normally does, your left screen (1) shouldn't have anything on it. You may have to uncheck "fullscreen" in the settings to stop (1) turning black when you have DCS running.

Also check "limit mouse to game window" IIRC. This should stop DCS minimising when you click anywhere on display (1).

Let us know how it goes.

vor 18 Minuten schrieb jonsky7:

Sorry, what is the problem exactly?

The game still starts at the left screen. No matter what. Maybe its just a typo or something. I dont know. But the idea is that the left screen stay clear - for my browser or whatever.

Spoiler

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('LMFCD+Camera+RMFCD-MOD');
Description = 'Left MFCD on the left monitor,Right MFCD on the right and camera on the center'
Viewports =
{
     Center =
     {
          x = 0;
          y = 0;
          width = 2560;
          height = 1440;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 2560/1440;
     }
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
     x = 2560;
     y = 400;
     width = 450;
     height = 450;
}

TEDAC =
{
     x = 3070;
     y = 400;
     width = 450;
     height = 450;
}

CENTER_MFCD =
{
     x = 3070;
     y = 420;
     width = 450;
     height = 450;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
     x = 3558;
     y = 400;
     width = 450;
     height = 450;
}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center
GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = Viewports.Center

21 minutes ago, Mek_101 said:

The game still starts at the left screen. No matter what. Maybe its just a typo or something. I dont know. But the idea is that the left screen stay clear - for my browser or whatever.

Reveal hidden contents

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('LMFCD+Camera+RMFCD-MOD');
Description = 'Left MFCD on the left monitor,Right MFCD on the right and camera on the center'
Viewports =
{
     Center =
     {
          x = 0;
          y = 0;
          width = 2560;
          height = 1440;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 2560/1440;
     }
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
     x = 2560;
     y = 400;
     width = 450;
     height = 450;
}

TEDAC =
{
     x = 3070;
     y = 400;
     width = 450;
     height = 450;
}

CENTER_MFCD =
{
     x = 3070;
     y = 420;
     width = 450;
     height = 450;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
     x = 3558;
     y = 400;
     width = 450;
     height = 450;
}

Yes, it does that for me now as well, it would always start from the main screen before. I have no idea what causes it to switch, sometimes it starts from the main screen.

So with this information, it seems the only way to  have a blank one for browsing is to set your monitors 2,3,1 in windows.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb jonsky7:

Yes, it does that for me now as well, it would always start from the main screen before. I have no idea what causes it to switch, sometimes it starts from the main screen.

So with this information, it seems the only way to  have a blank one for browsing is to set your monitors 2,3,1 in windows.

Okay, good to know that this behavior, even if its kind of annoying, is "normal". Iam not that surprised. In all guides the monitors are always set up from the far left to the right.

Again, thank you very much. 🙂

Am 8.2.2023 um 11:19 schrieb No1sonuk:

Can you not set up with #1 to the left and tell it the main viewport starts at, say 1920 from the left?

Well, i got the same idea. But nope. It dont work. Its not the same result, but both times the screen start on the left screen. With x = 0 the game window. And with x = 1920 on my mainscreen, but the left one is just black and not usable. 

I tried it then with a resolution of 5920x1440. The alignment is then right, but the left screen still black.

Okay, my solution is now this:

Monitorausrichtung.jpg

Its not perfect, but i think i can live with that. 1. is my main game monitor, 2. the touchscreen and 3. the "browser" monitor.

Edited by Mek_101
Showing my solution
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 9:02 AM, jonsky7 said:

That's the same for me. I don't know how the 1x1 version would work, because you can only export each display once.

The displays working in external view differs between aircraft and sometimes patches.

You could probably raise the TGP video pausing in external view on the exported display as a bug/issue.

This is a callback to almost a year ago about the 1x1 viewport to make DCS render in external/HUD views.
I think I finally found where it was I saw it:
http://dcs-bios.a10c.de/docs/v0.7.0/userguide.html#_a_10c

Aircraft-Specific Notes

A-10C

CMSP, CMSC and UHF Frequency Export in external view

These values will not be updated by DCS when the cockpit is not rendered (e.g. in external view or HUD-only view).

The solution is to assign another viewport to these indicators (through MonitorSetup.lua), so they exist even when the cockpit is not shown. You can make the viewport 1x1 pixels in size and place it outside of your visible screen area. For example, if you have no monitor above the primary one, you could place the viewport at coordinates (0, -10).

Looks like I misread the intention.  This was to allow DCS-BIOS to export that data.
I thought it was for other viewports too.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jehlybean said:

Tried this, Kneeboard2, and still getting IC errors.

This post is quite old and reference to passing IC meant you could actually use it on multiplayer. Which you still can.

You will get the return to list red shield error yes, this is due to the way DCS currently handles modifications to the contents of aircraft/cockpit/scripts.

But you should be able to at least play on any server that does not have "Require pure scripts" option enabled.

It is up to you to decide if its worth it or not.

Edited by jonsky7

• 1 month later...

Hi. 

I have a 24 inch (1920 x 1080) monitor, and an 8 inch (1280 x 768) small LCD to which I want to export the Apache TEDAC screen. I've created the lua file in my Saved Games: \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\MonitorSetup\Apache.lua and it looks like this:

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('Apache');
Description = 'AH-64D TEDAC Screen'
Viewports = 
{
     Center = 
     {
          x = 0;
          y = 0;
          width = 1920;
          height = 1080;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = screen.aspect;
     }
}

AH64_TEDAC =
{
	x = 1920;
	y = 0
	width = 768;
	height = 768;
}

However, it does not appear in the Monitor list:

image.png

image.png

Here's my windows display configuration:

image.png

39 minutes ago, Assamita said:

Hi. 

<snip>

Not sure what would cause that (someone will though probably),  but I did notice you might wanna change the line:

x = 1920;

to

x = 1921;

Since x-pixel 1920 should be on your larger monitor still.  Ignore that bit. 🙂

OH! but also...

On the TEDAC export you're missing a semi-colon after "y = 0" and I bet that's important too. 🙂 

Edited by Despayre

I'm not updating this anymore. It's safe to assume I have all the stuff, and the stuff for the stuff too. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Despayre said:

Not sure what would cause that (someone will though probably),  but I did notice you might wanna change the line:

x = 1920;

to

x = 1921;

Since x-pixel 1920 should be on your larger monitor still.

OH! but also...

On the TEDAC export you're missing a semi-colon after "y = 0" and I bet that's important too. 🙂 

1920 is correct for the second monitor.  The main monitor would be 0 to 1919 (1920 pixels includes "0").

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Despayre said:

OH! but also...

Good catch!! that was indeed important. I'm getting there, but there's still something off. The main screen is skewd, and the TEDAC screen is not properly centered (but I think I know what is that, I need to begin the screen a bit more to the right, since the 8 inch is 1280 but I want it to be a 768 x 768) **EDIT:everything fixed now 🙂IMG_20230326_205110.jpg

• Like 1

Hey folks, how are you? I am desperately looking for a valid method for exporting the NS430  into an external monitor (and possibly the F10 map). Anyone with a valid solution for exporting them with or without using Helios? Thanks, appreciated!

Edited by ROBYMIG

MIGNUS

Setup: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming plus, Intel i7 8700k, Ram 2x16Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport CL15 DDR4 3000MhZ, GTX 1070ti, 500Gb SDD, 1Tb HDD, Oculus Rift S, TM Warthog, TM Hornet Grip, TM Rudder pedals, 2x TM MFDs, 44” Tv, Home SIMPIT F/a-18c 1:1 scale Fully functional Main Instruments Panel

21 hours ago, ROBYMIG said:

Hey folks, how are you? I am desperately looking for a valid method for exporting the NS430  into an external monitor (and possibly the F10 map). Anyone with a valid solution for exporting them with or without using Helios? Thanks, appreciated!

You can export the NS430's screen, but it will break "pure scripts"

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223851

Alternatively you can just open the 2D NS430 window and drag it anywhere you like (LALT+B)

Edited by jonsky7

Thanks for your kind reply! Unfortunately I cannot use the mention steps you mentioned because I've been flying with VR masks....

MIGNUS

Setup: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming plus, Intel i7 8700k, Ram 2x16Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport CL15 DDR4 3000MhZ, GTX 1070ti, 500Gb SDD, 1Tb HDD, Oculus Rift S, TM Warthog, TM Hornet Grip, TM Rudder pedals, 2x TM MFDs, 44” Tv, Home SIMPIT F/a-18c 1:1 scale Fully functional Main Instruments Panel

• 3 weeks later...

Jonsky,

This guide has been so helpful, thank you.

I'm on the last step of getting stuff set up properly but have one final hurdle. Since getting MFDs and all that jazz set up, I have also picked up a VR headset. I use two shortcuts to launch the game, one that forces VR and the other forces non-VR. I'm using the Kneeboard mod you linked in the second post of this thread to add those three files and move the default position of my kneeboard, but since getting that working I have a new issue - my kneeboard now doesn't show up at all in VR. Or, if it is showing up somewhere, it's nowhere I can see it from craning my head around as much as possible to look everywhere I can think of.

Do you know of a fix I could implement to get the default kneeboard position in VR, and the one driven by the installed kneeboard mod files you suggested for non-VR? Currently I'm guessing I'm gonna have to be changing the declare_kneeboard_device2.lua stuff before I launch the game each time?

Thanks very much.

Cheers,

Stompy

On 4/15/2023 at 10:09 PM, Stompy said:

Jonsky,

This guide has been so helpful, thank you.

I'm on the last step of getting stuff set up properly but have one final hurdle. Since getting MFDs and all that jazz set up, I have also picked up a VR headset. I use two shortcuts to launch the game, one that forces VR and the other forces non-VR. I'm using the Kneeboard mod you linked in the second post of this thread to add those three files and move the default position of my kneeboard, but since getting that working I have a new issue - my kneeboard now doesn't show up at all in VR. Or, if it is showing up somewhere, it's nowhere I can see it from craning my head around as much as possible to look everywhere I can think of.

Do you know of a fix I could implement to get the default kneeboard position in VR, and the one driven by the installed kneeboard mod files you suggested for non-VR? Currently I'm guessing I'm gonna have to be changing the declare_kneeboard_device2.lua stuff before I launch the game each time?

Thanks very much.

Cheers,

Stompy

I'm sorry I don't know any way other than removing the mod. Your best bet is to use a mod manager like OvGME. Then it's as easy as double clicking the mod to install/remove it.

Wanted to clarify frame rate issues with exporting to MFDs. I have a 144hz 34” ultra wide. A second single monitor that’s 720p60hz. Both plugged into GPU. 3440x2160 overall 
I’ve read that a 60hz additional display will effectively lower your primary monitor frame rate to 60hz as well? (Despite what the fps counter suggests?) 

If so, are there any differences in regards to this issue for the usb type vs HDMI type external displays? 

I’ve tried reducing my primary to 60fps and the frame tearing was terrible. With VSYNC off

thanks 

Edited by The Billder