[How to] Multi monitor MFCD display export set-up guide - July 2023 (updated)

jonsky7

On 5/23/2022 at 1:02 AM, jonsky7 said:

That's the same for me. I don't know how the 1x1 version would work, because you can only export each display once.

The displays working in external view differs between aircraft and sometimes patches.

You could probably raise the TGP video pausing in external view on the exported display as a bug/issue.

I’m have an issues with MFDs and the A-10C. Using TM Cougar MFDs attached to MFD display screens. I have the displays occupying correctly the viewable screen. Here’s the issue…the menu items along the left and right OSB buttons are sitting about 1/2- 1 cm above the OSB buttons. Is this likely just a limitation of using the Cougar MFDs and their buttons not aligning with what is on the screen?

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

On 6/1/2022 at 11:11 AM, Sn8ke said:

I’m have an issues with MFDs and the A-10C. Using TM Cougar MFDs attached to MFD display screens. I have the displays occupying correctly the viewable screen. Here’s the issue…the menu items along the left and right OSB buttons are sitting about 1/2- 1 cm above the OSB buttons. Is this likely just a limitation of using the Cougar MFDs and their buttons not aligning with what is on the screen?

You are correct. Mine is the same way, the a-10 displays seem larger than the f-16 and 18, I had to just scale down the mfd size  until the a-10 fit as good as it could without making the others too small. The buttons don’t line up still, but you get used to it after a bit.

Edited by MadKreator

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

I found that you have to tweak the lua file until you hit the sweet spot.  I'll attach my file, feel free to edit as necessary.  I have my main screen as 1920x1080, with 2 x 800x600 below lined up with the left and right corners.

The F-14 screens had to be significantly tweaked, mostly by trial and error.

1_Screen+2xMFCDs_below.lua

Talent hits a target no one else can hit, genius hits a target no one else can detect

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU@4.5Ghz, ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, 64GB Corsair Venegence DDR 3200 RAM, MSI Rtx 3060 12GB Primary GPU, ASUS GTX 1650 4GB Secondary GPU, 40" 1920x1080 Samsung Monitor, 32" 1360x768 Sony Monitor, 32" Dynex 1360x768 Monitor, 1TB Seagate Firecuda M2 PCIe 4 OS SSD, 2TB Western Digital Blue M2 PCIe 3 storage SSD, 8TB Samsung 870QVO storage SSD, Western Digital Blue 1TB storage SATA, 2x Thrustmaster T16000 (LH and RH), Warthog Joy/Throttle/TPRS, 6 x Cougar MFDs (4 with Generic VGA 800x600 displays), Track IR 5 with IR Trackstar V3, Logitech G910 Tactile Keyboard, Logitech G604 Lightspeed Mouse, Logitech F310 Gamepad, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Soul: None (sold long ago to the MGOMU, also known as Princess)

On 6/2/2022 at 1:42 PM, MadKreator said:

You are correct. Mine is the same way, the a-10 displays seem larger than the f-16 and 18, I had to just scale down the mfd size  until the a-10 fit as good as it could without making the others too small. The buttons don’t line up still, but you get used to it after a bit.

Thanks. 

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

I have two monitors and tried setting up the LUA file but when I run DCS the cockpit is stretched across both monitors. I only wan the cockpit on the main monitor and the MFD's on the second. My main display is 1920X1080 and second monitor is below and 1280X1024.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.4 GHz

32 Gb RAM, Nvidea GTX 1050 TI

Water Cooled, Windows 10 64 bit

1 hour ago, 16th Widowmakr said:

I have two monitors and tried setting up the LUA file but when I run DCS the cockpit is stretched across both monitors. I only wan the cockpit on the main monitor and the MFD's on the second. My main display is 1920X1080 and second monitor is below and 1280X1024.

In step 2 of the guide you calculate your full rendered area. There are many examples for how to do this.

You have 1920 wide, since the 1280 is below, 1920 is the size needed.

For vertical you are 1080+1024 = 2104

So the resolution you enter inside the DCS graphics option page will be 1920*2104

Step 3 of the guide covers the monitor config file.

You have to define center and it's size 

Your file start with:

{

Center =

{

X = 0;

Y = 0;

width = 1920;

Height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1920/1080;

}

}

at the bottom of your file make sure you ha

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

config.thumb.jpg.bce0860a44c27e475fd2d02eec66ab6e.jpg

Post a screen shot shot your graphics setting page in DCS

Also post a screen shot of your monitor layout in windows

You are also missing  ; at the end of line 3

Correct 

RIGHt_MFCD to RIGHT_MFCD

Edited by JIGGAwest

7 minutes ago, 16th Widowmakr said:

This help?

Displays.png

Graphics.png

Is there a possibility there is another config file with the same line 2  '1 camera demo' in that folder?

Try another unique name like 'mysetupv1'

correct the ; on line 3

Edited by JIGGAwest

Getting closer. Have one MFD on the second screen but still getting DCS on both screens at startup. When I click om instant action and free flight for the a10c I get the cockpit on the main screen and just the left mfd on the second.

Here is my corrected LUA file

MySetUpv1.lua

9 minutes ago, 16th Widowmakr said:

Getting closer. Have one MFD on the second screen but still getting DCS on both screens at startup. When I click om instant action and free flight for the a10c I get the cockpit on the main screen and just the left mfd on the second.

Share your updated config file

Correct 

RIGHt_MFCD to RIGHT_MFCD

UIMainView = Viewports.center to UIMainView = Viewports.Center

Edited by JIGGAwest

Yes as I said it works correctly except for the right mfd. I now only see the left mfd on the second screen. I only ever saw the left mfd never the right.

Edited by 16th Widowmakr

2 minutes ago, 16th Widowmakr said:

Yes as I said it works correctly except for the right mfd. I now only see the left mfd on the second screen. I only ever saw the left mfd never the right.

correct  hright = 500; to

height = 500;

• Like 1

Both MFD's display now just have to get the positions adjusted right. Thank you for all your help! Greatly appreciated!!!

Edited by 16th Widowmakr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 16th Widowmakr said:

Corrected but still no right mfd

share the file or I can't see what else might be wrong

what aircraft are you testing? not all aircraft use LEFT_MFCD and RIGHT MFCD correctly 

show screen shots of what you have displaed

make sure you restart DCS between changes

you have 1024 of X position to work with. 5x + 500x = 505x(LEFT_MFCD) @ 515x leaves 10x spacing to (RIGHT_MFCD).

total used X is 1015x, this should not be a spacing problem

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to thank Jonsky7 for the configuration guide. I first read through the entire guide to see if this was a tweak I could actually do without risk. After that, the guide was so effective that it took me all of 15 minutes to get the two MFDs appearing on my second (right-side) monitor. While I'm certain reading all the instructions first before doing anything helped, that's a tribute to a very well written and complete document. Thanks again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Twoboxer said:

Just wanted to thank Jonsky7 for the configuration guide. I first read through the entire guide to see if this was a tweak I could actually do without risk. After that, the guide was so effective that it took me all of 15 minutes to get the two MFDs appearing on my second (right-side) monitor. While I'm certain reading all the instructions first before doing anything helped, that's a tribute to a very well written and complete document. Thanks again!

Ah that's awesome, thanks very much for taking the time to leave your message, certainly makes writing the guide feel worthwhile 😁.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey does anyone know the names I need to put into the monitor setup lua file for the F-14 Airspeed Indicator and master caution panel? I have a heck of a time seeing them, so thought it would be a possible solution to put them on my MFDs

Talent hits a target no one else can hit, genius hits a target no one else can detect

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU@4.5Ghz, ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, 64GB Corsair Venegence DDR 3200 RAM, MSI Rtx 3060 12GB Primary GPU, ASUS GTX 1650 4GB Secondary GPU, 40" 1920x1080 Samsung Monitor, 32" 1360x768 Sony Monitor, 32" Dynex 1360x768 Monitor, 1TB Seagate Firecuda M2 PCIe 4 OS SSD, 2TB Western Digital Blue M2 PCIe 3 storage SSD, 8TB Samsung 870QVO storage SSD, Western Digital Blue 1TB storage SATA, 2x Thrustmaster T16000 (LH and RH), Warthog Joy/Throttle/TPRS, 6 x Cougar MFDs (4 with Generic VGA 800x600 displays), Track IR 5 with IR Trackstar V3, Logitech G910 Tactile Keyboard, Logitech G604 Lightspeed Mouse, Logitech F310 Gamepad, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Soul: None (sold long ago to the MGOMU, also known as Princess)

16 hours ago, Darkdiz said:

Hey does anyone know the names I need to put into the monitor setup lua file for the F-14 Airspeed Indicator and master caution panel? I have a heck of a time seeing them, so thought it would be a possible solution to put them on my MFDs

You can't directly export an analogue gauge (gauge with a needle), or light panel from DCS. You will need a third party program like Helios, or the older and now not supported, iKarus.

Edited by jonsky7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...