Nosewheel steering not working in multiplayer

Talvid

It's true, because I went in to my F-86 settings and checked the box for realistic nosewheel steering, and now I have the same problem in single-player,  how do I steer the Sabre on the ground, I'm holding down the NWS button and I still can't correct the nosewheel.

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

You might want to check the manual on p. 176, "Nose wheel steering system" - they describe it better than I could. Steering system is perhaps a little bit tricky on this plane.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

I dont use the NWS on the Sabre. I do differential braking.

The nose wheel must be centered or NWS will not turn on. If you let go of the button with the nose wheel canted you must straighten it with brakes before attempting to turn it back on. 

Its accurately modeled and pretty tricky until you understand how it works.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

ok, after reading the manual, and another thread which I probably should have searched for before starting a new one I found out that with this plane if you press the NWS button you must not let it go until the nosewheel is in the neutral, straight position, otherwise it won't engage again until you have the rudder pedals in the same position as the nose-wheel is in.  Whenever I let up on the NWS button (because of laziness) it disengaged and wouldn't engage again until the rudder pedals were in the same position as when I let up the button.  Problem solved.  Pmiceli I see your solution, the only difficulty with using the wheelbrakes to steer is it doesn't work effectively from a full stop, only when rolling.  So the solution is.  press the NWS button to engage nosewheel steering only when the rudder pedals are neutral, and only let off the NWS button while the rudder pedals are back at neutral, otherwise you will have to 'catch' the nosewheel by turning the rudder pedals in the direction the jet is turning, and try pressing the NWS button to see if you had it aligned right.  This is a nightmare if you are careless enough to let off that button while turning.  Whew.  I was able to go in to the 4YA server and I taxied around no problem.  thanks for the help all.

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

12 hours ago, Thalvid said:

ok, after reading the manual, and another thread which I probably should have searched for before starting a new one I found out that with this plane if you press the NWS button you must not let it go until the nosewheel is in the neutral, straight position, otherwise it won't engage again until you have the rudder pedals in the same position as the nose-wheel is in.  Whenever I let up on the NWS button (because of laziness) it disengaged and wouldn't engage again until the rudder pedals were in the same position as when I let up the button.  Problem solved.  Pmiceli I see your solution, the only difficulty with using the wheelbrakes to steer is it doesn't work effectively from a full stop, only when rolling.  So the solution is.  press the NWS button to engage nosewheel steering only when the rudder pedals are neutral, and only let off the NWS button while the rudder pedals are back at neutral, otherwise you will have to 'catch' the nosewheel by turning the rudder pedals in the direction the jet is turning, and try pressing the NWS button to see if you had it aligned right.  This is a nightmare if you are careless enough to let off that button while turning.  Whew.  I was able to go in to the 4YA server and I taxied around no problem.  thanks for the help all.

It works just fine. I did it quite a bit in real life in aircraft without any nose wheel steering at all, just a free castor nose wheel. The same technique I used there works in the Sabre. Get rolling then light brake pumping in the direction of turn to get the nose wheel canted where I want it. You are correct that you cannot turn from a dead stop but you should never need to do that.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Actually the engagement of the nosewheelsteering is not a problem.

If you have a HOTAS with switches, use one of them for the NWS. That way you can not accidently disengage it. Flip the switch and it is enganged. Now if the nosewheel is not centered, just catch it. Once your NWS is activated you just need to tap your pedals into the direction your nosewheel is pointing to. Once you went over its position, the steering unit catches the nosewheel.

E.g.

-100 / 0 / +100 is the pedal range

The nosewheel is at -50

Pedals are centered

Activate NWS, fully press your left pedal. The moment when the pedal value goes from -49 to -50 the steering unit catches the wheel and you can steer from now on. 

It is easy to oversteer. Try small inputs at a time. Its a slow system

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Oh, I see you're right.  If my nosewheel is turned to one side, and I do let off the NWS button, I can simply hold it down again and move the rudder pedals as far as they can go in either direction, and at some point along that range it will catch the nosewheel no problem.  At first I thought it was much more tricky than that.

VR rig - stinkin' cool!