Tutorials and studies T2: Procedures, Timelines, Intercept Geometry

Karon

Hello again fine ladies and gentlemen!

I opened two threads, linking some of the stuff I put together in the last few years. I hope you can find something interesting here 🙂

Thread I contains most of the basic topics and discussions.

Thread II is about more advanced stuff. BVR / Stern Conversion Timelines, Intercept Geometry and so on.

A couple of notes & disclaimers here:

1. In primis this is my interpretation of the freely available, declassified, documentation. There can be mistakes and, in some occasions, I decided to diverge from the doctrine: at the end of the day, this is a videogame. Here and there you will find my suggestions to make your life easier, along what the official documentation says.
  2. In secundis, the available material is basic / IQT level. It is not used in the frontline and sometimes is too convoluted to be effectively used under pressure. Therefore, take it as a means to learn what is under the hood, but do not get overly fixated. The final result (and your enjoyment) is what matters.
  3. Finally, whenever possible I quoted the sources. The vast majority of the content linked below is my own work, but rarely I quoted other sources or used an image taken from them. In those cases, the source is clearly noted. I don't see why I should take credit for something I have not made myself.

That being said, I hope you'll find something useful here!

Procedures and techniques

Although centred around the F-14, topics such as the BVR Timeline or Geometry can be used by pretty much any other fighter jet.

BVR Timeline

I wrote this series a year ago, it covers the concept of the BVR Timeline. The thing is, the Timeline can hardly be used without diving into the Geometry, and that topic is huge. What I did in this case is extrapolating the BVR Timeline and suggested means of filling the gaps left by the geometry. The ratio is that a timeline can help any player, no matter the type of experience desired, to give more structure and homogeneity to an engagement. The geometry, albeit it is a very interesting topic, it is more on sim side of the game.

"Casual" Intercept Procedure

After lots of discussions with friends and teammates, some newbie, some veterans, about issues related to the abysmal performance of their missiles, I quickly concluded that the problem is usually the geometry: you can't expect a missile launched head-on at 50nm to consistently have the same results versus a flanking target at the same range. So, I looked for a way to help without requiring a deep-dive into angles and geometry. The solution is the Collision Course: easy to set up and definitely more effective than Pure Pursuit (the most common way to engage a target by new players). The result is the "Casual" intercept.
Written almost for fun, according to the feedback I received, it actually helps to "open up" the understanding of the air-to-air combat to new players.
The Simplified Stern Conversion completes the series, going slightly deeper but without requiring extensive knowledge of the Intercept Geometry.

Of course, if you are not new to the game, you must be looking for something more complex. Keep scrolling then!

Angles & Geometry: Related discussions

In this category fall a number of discussions about the basics of the geometry (literal geometry sometimes, even dragging Euclid and Pythagoras into the fray). Take them as the entrée before the main course.

Intercept Geometry

Eventually, I decided to deal with the Gorgon. This is the topic I am covering right now, and I hope it will be completed before the end of the winter.

The plan is starting from the basics, go through the modern documentation (2017) first, then use progressively older docs (2002, '70s, '50s). Eventually, you'll pick the modus operandi that works better for you and the more suitable to the module you prefer (now, where's my F-4J again?).

I recently completed Part V, and I am recording a couple of Demos to show how the modern gameplans can be adapted to the game.

I plan to record a third Demo and then move on to the Intercepts at the beginning of the XXI century.

Note that rather than spamming new topics on the forum, I will update this thread.

Edited by Karon
Updated list of posts
  • Like 3
full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

15/02/2021

• Added Intercept Geometry Part VI: Demo Videos. Example:
  • Added short study about ΔV in non co-speed intercepts.

Edited by Karon
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

Added a brief overview of the Intercept procedures following the doctrine of early 2000s.

https://flyandwire.com/2021/03/01/intercept-geometry-part-vii-2000s-intercepts-p-825-02/

Next, 2000s intercept progression and Demo videos.

• Like 1
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

I forgot to update this post:

The first was released a month ago, the second one today. Part X should not take too long.

If everything goes as planned (spoiler: it haver happens), Part XI should be about the F4 syllabus (just a quick overview), some words about the even older intercepts. Part XII the updated BVR Timeline (that's going to take some time).

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

Added Part X of the Intercept Geometry study, which concludes the brief overview of the P-825/02 and the techniques used at the beginning of the millennium.

Next stop, a quick at how things looked in the '50s through the '70s.

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

Added Part XIII: In-Depth Timeline (continuation: FOX 3/1/2). And with that, the study is pretty much completed. I'm working on an appendix, it should be available in primis on the third public draft of the book I aim to release before the end of the year.

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

Added Simplified Stern Conversion.

An approach similar to the one I used for the Simplified Intercept, it uses the elementary tools provided by the avionics to perform a stern conversion, with little to know understanding of the Geometry required.

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

Updating the IG study and added part XIV.

Also, I started a great update of the 2019 BVR Timeline work.

Chapter I: Introduction and Disclaimer

Chapter 2.1 - Intercept Geometry: Basics

Edited by Karon
  • Like 1
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

Chapter 3 introduces the figure of the Controller (ground and airborne). I used real recordings from the two Sidra incidents occurred in 1981 and 1989, plus a modern exercise.

• Thanks 1
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

• 4 weeks later...

Added Part IX, long overdue: "A brief look at the past (50s/60s)".
I decided to post it without the F-4E, as it will have a separate series with a greater focus on avionics and crew.

https://flyandwire.com/2024/02/25/intercept-geometry-part-xi-a-brief-look-at-the-past-50s-60s/

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"