Hey! I am new with DCS and I was wondering what are some good tips and tricks to know for a beginner as well as what aircraft are available for free and what aircraft is best to buy for beginners

theCAVE

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Fairey Gannet:

Ah yes, C-101 is really top notch and I use it with great pleasure. There is no single switch or function that was left out. Even if simple, comparing to 4th gen fighters, I think it is actually most in-depth module in DCS. Aviodev really pushed bar with that one, and their Mirage F-1 is no brainer for me because of that. And 101 is quite capable light attack, with really nice range of munitions. Setting up night attack with illumination rockets is challenging, but really fun. But what I really, really like in this thing is nav equipement. You have everything, from ADF to GPS. I started to deploy any kind of munitions after I learned how to navigate and land in bad weather and at night. No point in that, if you can't find your way back and end sortie in one piece. And 101 is great teacher. I really love her.

very nice! for navigation equipment i have to learn more, but i totally agree on her fighting capabilities. it takes a bit of practice to get the bombs on target though. yesterday i tried the illumination rockets for the first time. taking off at 4 AM in beirut heading for a camp in the mountains. i either shot a bit too far or dumb in the ground :). but it looks really good. is there any good mission where reconnaissance and target marking plays a role? or, is it possible to setup interesting missions, where you don´t know the kind of targets and their position. i´d have a lot of fun in that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fleur79 said:

very nice! for navigation equipment i have to learn more, but i totally agree on her fighting capabilities. it takes a bit of practice to get the bombs on target though. yesterday i tried the illumination rockets for the first time. taking off at 4 AM in beirut heading for a camp in the mountains. i either shot a bit too far or dumb in the ground :). but it looks really good. is there any good mission where reconnaissance and target marking plays a role? or, is it possible to setup interesting missions, where you don´t know the kind of targets and their position. i´d have a lot of fun in that.

I think your best bet for spotting and marking targets would be multiplayer 🙂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late for my contribution but I'd say if you're really interested in the game, go for a full fidelity module. Learning where the systems and controls are in the real aircraft is a lot more enjoyable than memorizing keybindings. The best mods are also available free, but they aren't that polished as the official ones.

I'd buy either the C101 or the L39, depending on which side you like most and the units you'd like to use (though L39 with english cockpit have kts and ft instead of m and km/h). They are challenging enough that you'll need some time to master the flight and their limitations and then you could start shooting in low tech scenarios. Don't be fooled into thinking that you can't enjoy those scenarios with the not-super-capable trainers. There's less tech involved and you'll be having a though time because you have to expose yourself more (think rockets, guns and unguided bombs) with aircraft that can't get you out of there in a split second.

Having the chance to train or even go to combat doing multicrew with other people is also another possibility.

Regarding hardware, I own a warthog, pedals and now VR googles. VR googles aren't entry level due to their price and the hardware you need to run them. High end joystick and pedals are amazing for upgrading from a casual setup to a serious simmer, but that can happen given time. Track ir or any of the free or cheap alternatives is the thing that, IMHO, changes the most the feeling and immersion. Whoever hasn't tried 6 DOF and moving around doesn't know what they are missing. When I recommend sims to my friend, that's the thing I stress the most. Get a cheap joystick if you need, don't spend a lot on hardware until you're sure, but get one of the cheap track ir alternatives from the beginning.

I hope it's useful.

• Like 1

Go to "Youtube university" everything is there ...lol

My Rig:I7 4790K OC to 4.5 GHz .Memory ram 16GB 64 Bit MOB Asus Maximus hero VII Nvidia NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 T Asus Monitor 4K at 3840x2160 Windos 10 64-bit on SDD 500 and DCS on separate SSD drive. Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog CH pro pedals

On 2/27/2021 at 10:17 PM, theCAVE said:

Finally, the HOTAS configuration; as I am a Linux player using Proton and Steam, I am unsure if the Key maps will be compatible, but i will definetly try it out.

How did you manage to map the HOTAS? I'm using remote gaming software into a Windows VM plus VirtualHere software to pass through the HOTAS "natively" into Windows. I could even use the Thrustmaster software, if I wanted to. Every axis, button, works like the thing is plugged in physically.

Tell me how you tackle the problem, appreciate your remarks.