Early Access Petrovich features info request

Stratos

From the news...

"Multi-crew. Second crew member can be another player or “Petrovich” AI (basic AI level during early access phase"

I'm worried about what Basic AI level during early access means. Will really like to hear from the developers what Petrovich will and will not be able to do during early access. 

Thanks.

• Like 6

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

My guess, based on the equipment available at launch, the Petrovitch AI will be able to fly for you in a line, to a target, hover or fly over waypoints while you are in the front cockpit. 

You can use the weapons from the pilot seat and you can fly the helicopter from the gunners seat also (in reality too). The difference is, that there are different tools available in each cockpit. For example pilot does not have access to the guided missiles console, gunner on the other hand lacks basic navigation devices, etc.

Edited by Jumbik
  • Like 1

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Unfortunately thats just guessing. I will really apreciatte If ED can clarify it. Will he call for enemies? warn you of missile launches? use the missiles by itself?

Very important feature and is not explained properly.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

A: He’ll turn on everything needed for weapons without communicating this via audio, at most showing a checkmark to the pilot via an interface. The weapons need to be activated by the gunner, otherwise the pilot can’t fire them.

[...]

Q: How will gunner spotting and engagement work?
A: Spotting is finding targets. The operator will say something like “commander, tally target 10 o’clock, range 3 to 3.5km”. Engagement is when the virtual operator looks through the periscope and sees a target in its field of vision, places a mark then says “commander, ready to employ weapons”. The commander sees this moving mark repeated on the gunsight, together with a fixed net. This symbolises launch authorisation – the missiles cannot be fired by the gunner until the pilot aligns the net boresighted with the helicopter with the moving one represented by the target designation. We’re trying to make it so the operator has the same difficulties a real person would have on manually holding the sight on target.

[...]

A: The Mi-24 AI will allow you to play as gunner or pilot, and you’ll be able to tell the pilot to make turns in certain directions, change altitude, speed, make attack runs and so on.

[...]

Q: If the player is on the gunner seat, will the AI fly with a simple flight model?
A: Why do that? The AI is a great pilot, no need for simple flight models. The one difficulty we’re having is for the AI to make a perfect landing in certain exotic conditions, but we already have it flying well in all nominal flight regimes.

[...]

Q: Would it be possible for the co-pilot to automatically load waypoints and call them out based on the flight plan on the mission editor?
A: Yes, a crew needs to help the commander. I’ll write this down. That’s also a task for the operator in the Mi-24, we’re doing that for him and want to do the same for the Mi-8.

Q: Can the Mi-24 operator give range to target?
A: Well, yes. We’re doing this realistically – there’s a certain error associated with visually guessing the range. An AI of higher skill will make better guesses than a lower one. There’s no way to gauge distance except for a rangefinder graphic on the periscope.

From the livestream Q&A.

• Like 1

But that's for full release right, the EA one will be much more simplified.

What I do know, from somewhere in this interview, is that they are still working on the UI aspect of the AI, and that they generally want it to be as hands off as possible (that probably means voice recognition).

• Like 1