Fps tank when changing aircraft or server

hazzer

The colors are not related to the WMR overlay, i simply mean:

green: my regular fps for this mission

red: significant drop in fps 10% or more

Im using 90hz 100% for the G2 in DevTools, with 25% NIS upscaling in Toolkit. 0% sharpness. MSAA 2x. No other tookit settings used.

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

Ah, wrong end of the stick on my behalf 🙂

The FPS tanking bug (which is what this thread is about) is 9-15 fps at random intervals, it can be alleviated by alt-tabbing for a while till the frametimes settle; I guess that's not what you're seeing?

When you say 25% NIS do you mean 125%?  25% gives a render resolution of about 790x780 and quite expectedly looks like a badgers arse, 125% gives a render resolution of around 2530x2470.  You might find it advantageous to ditch the upscaling and drop the resolution down to 2500, you should get less shimmer and more performance.  Setting 125% in openxr toolkit is the same as running 80% - this is higher than AMD's ultra recommendation of 77% for FSR1.0 (as used in vrperfkit etc.) and actually a negative to performance as the upscaling overhead is often enough to discount the performance benefits.

More resolution = more vram usage, especially when using MSAA, add the upscaling overhead onto that and you're actually going to be losing performance.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

sry, 125% as in 25% upscaling. I was going for more resolution but i havent considerd this may also cost VRAM.

When I drop NIS upscaling from 125% to 80%, i can run High textures and MR. There is a slight 5 fps drop on mission reload, but i can get it back to standard fps by alt-tabbing and waiting for 10-30 seconds.  VRAM usage is now at 5.5Gb / 76%. I only tried to reload one mission, it may get worse the more often you restart the mission.

But given my limited system i think this is the best compromise.

Thanks for the help

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

125% and 80% are pretty much identical, what you're seeing is placebo difference in performance between the two. The only way to upscale in openxr toolkit is to override the resolution first and then apply upscaling. Values both above and below 100% achieve the same thing, a reduction in the rendered image and upscale back to the system resolution.

I spent months tuning my 3070 in openxr and dropping resolution to around 2500 with zero upscaling and MSAA x2 was best bang for buck image and performance wise. Give it a try 🙂

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.