Cockpit seal and unlock logic

Fri13

Is the canopy suppose to be opened by just pulling the unlock lever without first opening the sealing lever?

It seems to me that I should first require to unseal the canopy and only then get access to pull the unlocking lever.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

18 hours ago, Fri13 said:

Is the canopy suppose to be opened by just pulling the unlock lever without first opening the sealing lever?

Yes, that's what the official documents say about it.

Mancher zum Meister sich erklärt, dem nie das Handwerk ward gelehrt!

15 minutes ago, Golo said:

Dont you automatically unseal the canopy by actuating the canopy unlock lever? Because the sealing lever is right in front of it.

I haven't checked the mechanic there, but it could block the unlocking mechanism just by being in the way. 

It is little odd that you have two functions, seal the cockpit and lock the canopy.

Both have own lever.

Like why not have locking lever as well seal the canopy?

What are the downside to fly without sealing cockpit at normal altitudes?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yes, manual states there is a retaining slot for canopy seal lever IRL, makes sense you dont want to unseal canopy by some accident. But for in game purposes? Probably unnecessary.

Flying without canopy seal? I dont know, but even tho down low you would not have troubles with pressure, I would not want wind shear passing inside cockpit between cockpit frame and canopy frame at +800kph. Anyway manual says all flights irrespective of altitude has to be performed with sealed canopy and cockpit pressurization working.

It is required to seal the canopy after fully locking the mechanism. Attempting to do both at once can lead to the seal starting to inflate and preventing the lock from fully engaging.

In the reverse there is no such concern. I don't know if attempting to pull back both levers simultaneously is more difficult or even impossible versus releasing the seal first.

The levers are made in such a way that the sealing lever can never be forward of the locking one. From what I can tell pulling back on the locking lever pulls back both.

2 hours ago, Frederf said:

I don't know if attempting to pull back both levers simultaneously is more difficult or even impossible versus releasing the seal first.

As I already wrote, the official NVA service manuals advise to just unlock the locking lever, which then pulls along the sealing lever. There is no need to pull the two levers separately.

• Like 1

Mancher zum Meister sich erklärt, dem nie das Handwerk ward gelehrt!