Questions on Su-25/25T ?

1. In which circumstances the Su-25/25T's EOS (laser rangefinder) can be damaged by manoeuvering ?? :doh:

(because i assume that sometimes the way i control the plane causes EOS damaged)

2. What's the meaning of the letter P at altitude scale on the HUD of Russian planes ?

Eg: 935P....

935P means the plane's at altitude of 935 meters above sea level but i don't know why meter = P, can anyone explain this :music_whistling:

1) I think military hard ware should be able to take some damage and rough handling.

2) If I understand correctly it is not a P it is a Cyrillic R. So it means 935 meter by radar. (altitude radar)

Edited by mvsgas
  • Like 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

1. In which circumstances the Su-25/25T's EOS (laser rangefinder) can be damaged by manoeuvering?? (because i assume that sometimes the way i control the plane causes EOS damaged)

Could you be a bit more specific? By damaged, do you mean that it is unusable for the rest of the flight, or do you lose lock and have to re-acquire?

As far as I can tell, there are limits to the speed with which the laser can be re-pointed. Hence, if you roll, pitch or yaw your plane faster than those limits, you will lose lock.

• Like 1

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Could you be a bit more specific? By damaged' date=' do you mean that it is unusable for the rest of the flight, or do you lose lock and have to re-acquire ?[/quote']

No, not unusable, in this situation i think Electro-Optical system is really damaged

State:

after some heavy maneuvering evading IR missiles or trying to turn back to ground target location or something likes that.... suddenly i heard the sound in Russian and the warning "EOS Failure" flashes on top left of the screen. Inside the Su-25 cockpit, the green light flashes uninterrupted and there's no way to re-activate EOS (Shift-O) ===> it means EOS really failed and laser guided weapons are useless

Edited by Majesco

That's interesting, though I have never seen this before. Were you overspeeding? At too high speeds all sorts of weird things can happen. If you do manage to reproduce the circumstances, record a track.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You haven't just been leaving the laser on and not realised that it needs turning off to cool, have you?

If left on, after 50 seconds it will automatically switch-off to cool down. You can override this, but do it too often and it will stop working. If this is not the case, ignore this! If it is, then the laser is something that requires using carefully, with time between runs to cool down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/

We now fly all modern Jets and Helos

2) If I understand correctly it is not a P it is a Cyrillic R. So it means 935 meter by radar. (altitude radar)

adore.gif beat_brick.gif

oops, ...cyrillic R not P !!!

I thought it's the letter P in Eng alphabet :lol:

Disabling "HUD in Russian" is unperfected, 99% information on HUD are English but the letter P is not translated, at least it should be R (Radar) sweet_kiss.gif

Edited by Majesco

• 5 years later...

EOS Failure

If i am not mistaken...... if you leave the Laser on for too long, itll overheat, thus breaking, thus becoming worth and useless for laser guided weapons! which sucks!

i always "tv" my targets, as soon as im in range, turn ON the laser, fire the missile and turn off the laser once the missile has impacted, not sooner not later.

also i think having the laser on can makes you MORE visible to radar, or easier to spot.

if you are on the ground and have night vision goggles on, and told the a10 in the air where your target is, at night, with NV goggles on, you´d see the laser.