Problems with AI Harrier take off from ground at FARP

HedgeSlammer

Hi folks, I'm just putting a mission together which involves flying out of a FARP in Georgia, using a mixed team of Gazelles & Harriers.

Depending on whether you fly the Harrier or Gazelle, an AI pilot flies the the other aircraft.

The AI Gazelle takes off fine and happily flies off to complete his mission.

But the AI Harrier takes off vertically from the ground (his WP0 is set as 'takeoff from ground'), goes straight up to about 1200', then tips backward & crashes into the ground instead of heading off to his next WP.

I've tried reducing the load from a couple of bombs & Mavs to nothing + 50% fuel = gross weight 19,000lbs - no change

I've tried creating a new harrier with again no load, only 2 WP including the 'takeoff from ground' WP0 - no change

Anyone have any ideas what's going on and how to fix it?

Only solution I can see right now is let the fellow take off, then when he gets to about 500', de-activate him and activate a new harrier starting at 500' and 170kts - it'll work but if I can use the takeoff from ground instruction, I'd be happier, otherwise - what's the point of it?

15 hours ago, Wisky said:

i am not 100% sure but maybe wp0 should be the homeplate and wp1 take off from ground? 🤔

Cheers for the idea wisky - no go I'm afraid - there's no option to set WP0 as home plate that I can see - has to be one of the various take off or landing options, or a fly over / turnpoint.

Also tried setting WP0 to a turning point with 0 speed & altitude, but neither can be set to 0, so no joy there either.

Ever wonder if you're missing something obvious?

Just thinking the Mission Editor forum might have been a sensible place to raise this - so copying it there now (just in case you think you're seeing double)...

Well... I'm working on a mission, simulating the time that the VMA-513 had in Afghanistan in the early 2000's. Using the Nevada map as a stand in for the terrain... AI wingman crashes after a CTO and trying to rejoin. Loadout and/or AI skill doesn't seem to matter... Haven't looked closely as its maneuvers before the crash but I will and report back...

Attached is a track for my issue....Although I think I fixed it 

For the track, WP1 was set to 270Knots and 6xxx feet. As I watched the track, I noticed the AI struggling with its speed so I thought that perhaps it was some calculation issue between the speed set in the WP vs what speed the AI is trying to get to... So, I modified my WP1 to 370 Knots and 16xxx feet... Didn't save the track because the wingman did not crash...

@HedgeSlammerwhat are your WP1 settings? Try to increase speed and see what happens.

AV8B AI TO Issue.trk

On 5/27/2021 at 3:02 PM, Draken35 said:

Attached is a track for my issue....Although I think I fixed it 

For the track, WP1 was set to 270Knots and 6xxx feet. As I watched the track, I noticed the AI struggling with its speed so I thought that perhaps it was some calculation issue between the speed set in the WP vs what speed the AI is trying to get to... So, I modified my WP1 to 370 Knots and 16xxx feet... Didn't save the track because the wingman did not crash...

@HedgeSlammerwhat are your WP1 settings? Try to increase speed and see what happens.

AV8B AI TO Issue.trk 92.72 kB · 1 download

Hi Draken,  thanks for the idea - just tried it and still the same outcome as always - AI harrier takes off vertically from FARP, reaches 1200 ft & tips backwards 45 degrees, losing altitude until he crashes.  Very strange. Have sorted it in the mission I'm making so that the AI harrier is already in the air, flying past at a relatively low level & speed, in front of the Gazelle if that's what you decide to fly.  And if you're flying the harrier, the AI gazelle takes off in front of you instead - showing the AI harrier how it's done! 🙂

Edited by HedgeSlammer