Rotor Flex

Rogue Trooper

I noticed on Wags videos that there was a lot of lift on the tips of the rotor blades, more so than I have noticed in any other DCS chopper Sim.

The rotors form a bowl shape rather than a straight line from the centre to the edge of the spinning rotor cone shape, at the time I thought that looked cool.

During one of my test flights I tried a low and fast flair stop and dropped into VRS, My attitude was level and VRS occurred just after the flair manoeuvre was completed, I dropped only a couple of meters to the ground and far too low to do anything about it, I dropped around 2 meters and hit the ground, sink rate was not so bad I thought. Immediately after hitting the ground I heard a bang and the chopper went into a full torque spin.

I got her down and then she caught fire.... but the airframe was on it wheels squarely which is a good landing in my book.

I hit F2 to examine the damage and do a full inspection, it was immediately obvious that the rotor had cut cleanly through the tail when I had dropped onto the ground, the angle of the cut through the tail made it totally obvious.

So I guess we also have the new damage model as well as awesome rotor modelling.

Later I was following a guy in the Hind (both of us in Hinds) and he climbed to do an inverted loop.... I watched the main rotor cut his tail clean off!

Any one else notice this?

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.