Hind vs Mi8 vs KA50 drag race.

Picure

The Mi-24 is unquestionably the fastest chopper in the game, but I haven't done acceleration tests like that. Shouldn't be a surprise that the Ka-50 wins it, it's a very responsive little chopper.

• Like 1

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

counter rotating helicopters are fast.

its because the retreating blade stall is balanced out. by the other rotor. they both stall but on opposite sides. so the stalled rotors still provides net even lift. (just less thrust)

the rotors don't need to be on top of each other.

the ch47 chinook is also very fast for the same reason.

counter rotating helicopters speed is limited by advancing blade compressibility, wing tip maximum speeds and engine power.

the mi-24 is fast because the wings provide 30% of the lift so it can go faster with a single rotor. the wings balance out the retreating blade stall, up to a point. but the onset of retreating blade stall is much harsher. 

an empty mi-8 is big but light. 

why it will have good acceleration (good power to weight ratio empty) but a lower top speed. the big body has more drag. its pylons don't generate lift. it will hit retreating blade stall first but retreating blade stall will be much more gradual.

all modern military designs, in competition, have either a single rotor with wings, or are counter rotating. with an added pusher where the tail rotor used to be. for even more speed (making up for the loss of thrust from retreating blade stall). 

so they can be launched from further away (same time on target). don't need FARPS as close to the battle area. and have greater range.

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Not surprising to me. The acceleration is more a question of drag between these choppers and the Hind loses in that regard. 

The KA 50 has the most advanced stability system, and the added benefit of twin rotors, so it doesn't surprise me to see it looking more stable. 

• Like 1

Weight with 20% / 100% fuel. You still need to move that mass.

Ka-50: 19337 / 21894

Mi-8:   19513 / 22915

Mi-24: 20891 / 23981

• Like 1

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |