Training 2 vs 2, sidewinder: tips and tricks please

Double Dutch

Hello,

New to the game, Been doing landings, weapons and just moved (slowly to my first Air to Air missions). And I have (a lot of stupid) questions considering 2 vs 2 fights:

- In a head to head, how do you approach?

- When to start locking?

- How can you switch to target 2 after your rockets are on their way to target 1.

- When going head to head, when can you shoot you sidewinder (which one)?

- I keep loosing my enemies after we start turning, Can radar show me on the hud where it/they are? 

- Is there a video on how perform an encounter with 2 vs 2 with sidewinders?

- Why does my wingmen never shoots?

(ps. what applies to Amraam too)

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

6 minutes ago, Double Dutch said:

Hello,

New to the game, Been doing landings, weapons and just moved (slowly to my first Air to Air missions). And I have (a lot of stupid) questions considering 2 vs 2 fights:

- In a head to head, how do you approach?

You'll find that most answers are 'it depends'.   In this case you're head-on, so you're not sneaking.  I'm assuming that you're doing all of this with AI, which means you aren't going to get a lot of help from your AI in terms of situational awareness.

So, first order order of things, ensure you've told your wingman which of the two aircraft you want him to attack.

You'll need an attack plan.  I'm not going to go into that here because there's a lot of them and they're complicated.  The philosophy is to approcha in such a way that you and your wingman have some sort of advantage, ie. the result is that you employ missiles first either head on or after the merge.

- When to start locking?

As soon as possible, they know you're there so not an issue.  Keep an eye on them visually as well.

- How can you switch to target 2 after your rockets are on their way to target 1.

It's 2v2, so why would you do that?   Your wingman is shooting the other aircraft.

- When going head to head, when can you shoot you sidewinder (which one)?

It'll tell you.

- I keep loosing my enemies after we start turning, Can radar show me on the hud where it/they are? 

No.  Use your head, your eyes.  Part of your initial attack plan is making sure that you can easily keep everything in sight or at least be able to predict where they have gone.  You'll need to focus on your target but if you have him doing something predictable, you can glance/cross-check for the other guy.

- Is there a video on how perform an encounter with 2 vs 2 with sidewinders?

I'm sure there's a bunch of them and you'll learn little to nothing from most 🙂  If there's a good one out there I'm sure someone will point it out.

- Why does my wingmen never shoots?

I don't know.  Get a human involved to be your wingman, works so much better.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

1 hour ago, GGTharos said:

It's 2v2, so why would you do that?   Your wingman is shooting the other aircraft.

It'll tell you.

How do you tell your wingman to attack a certain airplane.

It 2 vs 10, you are 10 mile apart, closing fast... I feel I have just time to select the sidewinder, turn on forward radar. tone, cage and then shoot.

Not sure about the distance I can fire in a head to head engagement.

Been shot out of the air also quite a few times. I am using chaff

Just saw a video from Wagner where you can see on the AMFCD who is targeting what and no clue how to do that yet

Edited by Double Dutch

-----

8 hours ago, Double Dutch said:

How do you tell your wingman to attack a certain airplane.

The radio menu, 'attack my target'.   Then switch to the other one right away.

It 2 vs 10, you are 10 mile apart, closing fast... I feel I have just time to select the sidewinder, turn on forward radar. tone, cage and then shoot.

I'm not even going to discuss 2v10 at 10nm apart or any situation like that, it's utterly silly.  Unless you made a typo.

Not sure about the distance I can fire in a head to head engagement.

The missile literally tells you when you can shoot, and you have a DLZ on the HUD as well.

Been shot out of the air also quite a few times. I am using chaff

Flares are used for IR missiles.

Just saw a video from Wagner where you can see on the AMFCD who is targeting what and no clue how to do that yet

No idea, and not important at such short ranges, your eyes should outside of the pit at all times, not inside.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

5 hours ago, Double Dutch said:

How do you switch targets?

To switch targets automatically, you’ll need to have your Air to Air radar up and running on a DDI, TWS (left side top PB on the radar page-track while scan mode that allows building trackfiles for multiple targets) activated, and then depress “Undesignate” once on the stick. The mission computer (MC) will shift your L&S(launch and steering or #1 target) to the next in line or “DT2”-designated target 2. 

By using TWS, you’ve commanded the MC to track and categorize as many as 10 targets (limited also by search volume/shape-i. e. are there multiple targets within the radar’s view).

Looking at the ATTK-RDR page, you will see the symbology denoting which target is the L&S (star) as well as the remainder, numbered in order of priority. 

Once a target is designated in TWS, command AUTO (right side ~middle PB in TWS) and the radar will automatically shift the search area within gimbal limits to track the designated target. You will likely still lose lock as you enter into a turning fight, but at this point you would shift to ACM modes (HACQ/LHACQ are my preferred modes when JHMCS is available). The ACM modes command a fast search in a specific area of sky and specific shape and will STT (single target track or hard lock) the first thing the radar finds. Very useful for knife fighting. 

edit-clarity

Edited by Brass2-1
  • Like 2

Using TWS is one reasonable technique if the targets are being at least somewhat cooperative.

The AACQ/ACM modes are always there to help you with acquisition as well and should be the primary method, and with the F-16 you also have the helmet to help with this.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

20 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

Using TWS is one reasonable technique if the targets are being at least somewhat cooperative.

The AACQ/ACM modes are always there to help you with acquisition as well and should be the primary method, and with the F-16 you also have the helmet to help with this.

100% agreed-inside 10MI or within Fox-2 range things happen very quickly and fiddling with TWS may not be workable. ACM modes are designed for just such situations. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brass2-1 said:

To switch targets automatically, you’ll need to have your Air to Air radar up and running on a DDI, TWS (left side top PB on the radar page-track while scan mode that allows building trackfiles for multiple targets) activated, and then depress “Undesignate” once on the stick. The mission computer (MC) will shift your L&S(launch and steering or #1 target) to the next in line or “DT2”-designated target 2. 

By using TWS, you’ve commanded the MC to track and categorize as many as 10 targets (limited also by search volume/shape-i. e. are there multiple targets within the radar’s view).

Looking at the ATTK-RDR page, you will see the symbology denoting which target is the L&S (star) as well as the remainder, numbered in order of priority. 

Once a target is designated in TWS, command AUTO (right side ~middle PB in TWS) and the radar will automatically shift the search area within gimbal limits to track the designated target. You will likely still lose lock as you enter into a turning fight, but at this point you would shift to ACM modes (HACQ/LHACQ are my preferred modes when JHMCS is available). The ACM modes command a fast search in a specific area of sky and specific shape and will STT (single target track or hard lock) the first thing the radar finds. Very useful for knife fighting. 

edit-clarity

Awesome... thank you!! was looking for that information!!

Will also look into The AACQ/ACM modes for the 2 vs 2 close range using Sidewinders.

This is an awesome video for explanantion: 

Edited by Double Dutch

-----