Multicrew Tips and Tricks

Lurker

I'm starting to fly with a friend and wanted to start a thread where people can share their experiences and maybe some advice for people who are only starting out to fly as a two-man team in the Hind. 

Please feel free to share any tips and tricks that you feel could help out us newbies in this arena. 🙂 Things like checklists, weapon load-outs, tactics, keybinds, how to avoid sync problems etc. etc. 

First of all, can anyone share any good PvE training servers\missions with clearly defined objectives that would be suitable for newbies? Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

First of all, can anyone share any good PvE training servers\missions with clearly defined objectives that would be suitable for newbies? Thank you. 

I found it pretty easy to just slap an mi-24 down on a mission and scatter some HMMVs in a pretty obvious spot.

Also biggest thing I can say on the sync issues, do a full cold start without the other person in the front, including telling Petrovich to turn on weapons.
Aswell, if you end up in with the constant launch tone, just ask your buddy to turn the missile selector knob to no have a missile selected. If it persists, just have him open the doors, go into the sight, and manually align and unalign it from the launch zone before backing out of it.

You're also better off just having the counter measures bound as the pilot. I had it go in such a way that he was firing off flares that I couldn't see, but he could always see it if I fired them off myself, so better safe than dead at the hands of a stinger on that front.

Edited by Czechnology
  • Like 1

Just now, Czechnology said:

Also biggest thing I can say on the sync issues, do a full cold start without the other person in the front, including telling Petrovich to turn on weapons.
Aswell, if you end up in with the constant launch tone, just ask your buddy to turn the missile selector knob to no have a missile selected. If it persists, just have him open the doors, go into the sight, and manually align and unalign it from the launch zone before backing out of it.

Thanks, these are good tips. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

it's all about communication:

1. As a pilot and you know a rough heading just aim in the direction of the target and say: "search in my direction". De Operator will open doors and look through sight and aligns it until it's deviation is zero (bottom scale). The pilot will see the crosshair of the Operator and will redirect the Operator with "futher away" if it's above the pilot's crosshair and vice versa.  
  2. If the Operator has spotted the enemy he's in the lead and says "turn to heading 160" and when it's heading that way, open doors and look through the sight and finds the target and says "synchronize with me" so the Pilot will point the nose to the target, adjust for elevation and shoots when the Operator sees and hears the cue.
  3. As an Operator switching to the F10 map is a key to succes. Try to find the perfect IP (ingress point) and place a marker there, use the ruler to find the heading to the target and to be sure you're far away to find the target together, shoot and get away.
  4. Talk upfront about a 'Return to IP point' where the pilots turns back to the target. This will give the Operator time to look outside, investigate the F10 map, etc
  5.  Simple "doors open" by the Operator tells the Pilot NOT to make any hard moves. And "doors closed" is the opposite. 
  6. Before entering the AO (Area of Operation) the Pilot tells the positions of the Weapon selectors (Auto Range, Fire Control, Weapon Selector Switch) and the AUTO-Manual (automatic firing solution calculation is on Auto) to be sure when the Operator wants to fire it is also possible to do so  
  7. Powerlines hurt... Never have the assumpation the pilots has seen them. If you spot them tell it. (the same for light poles at the airbases and around the ramp)
  8. Learn to use SRS for interflight communication between Pilot and Operator
  9. Know your brevity. "Riffle" = I shoot a guided missile. "Shack" = ground target is hit and (almost) dead, "Splash" = air target is hit and down
  10. The Operator is responsible to set up the right Counter Measure program and deploy them. TELL when you deploy them 

Other tips:

• Bind as Pilot the Observe switch too. In an emergency you're able to close the door and dodge incoming fire or a missile. 
  • If the pilot isn't fast enough to line up the crossairs you're able to override launch authority by switching the DIAFR swith (on the right of the Observe switch). The Operator will get an instant cue to shoot. Be sure to be in range and within limits of the Sturm missile!
  • In case of an emergency landing the Operator is able to lower the gear too if the pilots is to busy controlling the airframe
  • Bind as a Operator the Next weapon and Radiation Reset so you can switch to the next Sturm Missile without leaving the sight. 

(I fly at XSAF Camelot, a PVE server, pretty serious and if you know how to fly and shoot always welcome to join us. Pravus (owner of server and script) has modified the behaviour of the AI enormously. Also we have limited supplies, factories to rebuid airframes and ammo and produce fuel, salvage system to collect downed REDFOR airframes for credits to spend in those factories and lots more. Growling Sidewinder interviewed Pravus a while ago. See youtube but in the mean time a lot has been changed!: 

Edited by Vinchante
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vinchante said:

The Operator is responsible to set up the right Counter Measure program and deploy them. TELL when you deploy them

Until the multicrew desync is fixed, I'd say the opposite of this. Since the Operator can't fire countermeasures that are visible to anyone but themselves at the moment. 

• Thanks 1