Multi-monitor distortion on edges of left and right monitor (on three monitor setup)

CTBlankenship

I just spent $1,000 (approximately) for two more 2560x1440 monitors ... giving me a three monitor setup. I've read all I can find to get rid of the distortion on the extreme edges of the left and right monitors. 

Based upon what I've discovered ... I'm out of luck. It's just a "feature" of the game. Which is sad for a game in 2021. 

Anywhoo ... I figured I'd give it one last fling and see if there are any tricks I can use to eliminate that distortion. I'm pretty sure I'm going to return these two beauties to Best Buy and go back to my 1920x1200 monitors on the left and right and my 2560x1440 in the middle.

Sigh ...

Thanks for reading this far ...

CTBlankenship

Intel I7-4770K @ 4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, EGVA GTX 1070 SC, Three ASUS PA248 24" monitors, 500 GB SSD, Saitek X-56 Throttle and Stick, TrackIR

This a mathematical consequence of high FOV rectilinear projection with almost all games. DCS is one of the few software which provides a stitched 3 render option. Look for it in the display options.

Distortion is always present with rectilinear projection. The 3view option breaks up the view into 3 separate projections which reduces distortion to the FOV of each monitor or 1/3rd the total.

Edited by Frederf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I nailed it ... it was a three step process ... first one is illustrated by image 1 ... I setup my three monitors as 2 1 3 with 1 being the main monitor ...

Next I setup the Graphics options as illustrated in Image 2 ...

Finally, I modified a .lua file I scrounged up on the internet and modified it to its final form ... which follows.  Download the file and put it in your C:\Program Files -> Eagle Dynamics -> DCS World OpenBeta -> Config -> MonitorSetup subdirectory. Your location may vary based upon which drive on which you installed DCS.

The setup consists of two ASUS - 31.5" WLED 2560 x 1440 165Hz Curved Gaming Monitor (VG32VQR) and one ASUS 27" 2560x1440 (PA278QV) monitor in the middle.  

One weird feature is that monitors 2 and 3 remain blank until you enter into game play.  All of the distortion is GONE!!!

name = _('dcs_group');
Description = 'Exported configuration with 3 projectors'
Viewports =
{
    P1 =
    {
        x = 0;
        y = 0;
        width = 2560;
        height = 1440;
        aspect = 1.777778;
        useAbsoluteFOV = true;
        useAbsoluteAnglesShift = true;
        FOV = 1.106157;
        viewDx = 1.162454;
        viewDy = 0.000000;
    },
    P2 =
    {
        x = 2560;
        y = 0;
        width = 2560;
        height = 1440;
        aspect = 1.777778;
        useAbsoluteFOV = true;
        FOV = 1.121219;
        viewDx = -0.000000;
        viewDy = 0.000000;
    },
    P3 =
    {
        x = 5120;
        y = 0;
        width = 2560;
        height = 1440;
        aspect = 1.777778;
        useAbsoluteFOV = true;
        FOV = 1.106157;
        viewDx = -1.162454;
        viewDy = 0.000000;
    }
}
UIMainView = Viewports.P2

MonitorSetupInWindows.jpg

DCSSystemOptions.jpg

dcs_group.lua

Edited by CTBlankenship
Added monitors product codes
  • Thanks 1

Intel I7-4770K @ 4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, EGVA GTX 1070 SC, Three ASUS PA248 24" monitors, 500 GB SSD, Saitek X-56 Throttle and Stick, TrackIR

Can anyone tell me what the following variables stand for and do?

FOV = 1.106157; (Field of View)
viewDx = -1.162454; (?)
viewDy = 0.000000; (?)

Also, I basically lucked into this solution ... I just started plugging in numbers after almost giving up and got lucky.  I have no idea what possessed me to try and fly while the only functioning monitor was my front one (both the left and the right monitor were dark). As soon as I pressed the Instant Action buttons for Cold Start (A10, Nevada, Cold Start) the two outer monitors came alive and the distortion was gone!

I really hope this helps people that have a three monitor setup ... who do not have the $1,500 (approximately) for an ultra-wide.  

Enjoy,

CTBlankenship

Basically these numbers correct for a 45deg angle for the side monitors. Otherwise you have 0 or 1 for a flat setup or a setup with perpendicular position of the monitors. Both not ideal or with distortion at edges. I've been trying to find out how to achieve these numbers (with solid knowledge of trigonometry) but to no avail, I just accept these figures...)

Now with different (physical) size monitor/TV you see that they don't really match to one image. You can tweak the numbers (painstakingly) yourself and try to get a better match. With a ratio of 27" monitor and a 32" TV, I set my left FOV to 1.13. Then I tweaked the x and height values to get a similar size view on the bigger screen. I also lined up the top edges of the screens. Unfortunately this tweaking results in a graphical issues with 2.7 which were not there in 2.5.6!  In 2.5.6 this worked flawlessly. 

Screen_210616_231318.jpg

The left screen is on the bigger monitor, you should stretch it down/left to get an idea of the match. With 2.7 and tweaks of the .lua you get strange offsets in the image (sea, clouds, mirror), so I mainly fly without clouds and overland...

I'm now waiting for my new rig. I was aiming for a 3090 but I settle with a 3080 (actually a 3090 = 3080 + 3 monitors + 3Tb HD). Coming from 1050 I am happy with a 3080 + 3 equal monitors :).

Edited by Wrcknbckr

• 4 weeks later...