What's the typical airspeed for the F-15?

pauldy

What's the typical airspeed for the F-15 in Aerial Patrol Tasks?

I've wanted to ask this a long time ago.

I was wondering at what airspeeds do eagle drivers fly when they're on aerial patrol tasks like CAP (combat air patrol)

In Lock On i usually fly at 380-390 Knots Indicated Airspeed at 23,000 feet and above. Then 400 below FL230. I dunno if this is right :)

Thanks for any information.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know what the answer is but I'd say don't think in terms of IAS above 18K feet. Copy the airliners ;) and use Mach for cruising at altitudes above eighteen thousand feet. I use about 0.75 to .80. I have no idea if that's realistic though. :noexpression:

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

Vc

Design cruising speed, also known as the optimum cruise speed, is the most efficient speed in terms of distance, speed and fuel usage

Maximum level speed 'clean' at 36,000 ft (10975 m) more than 1,433 kt (1,650 mph; 2655 km/h); cruising speed at optimum altitude 495 kt (570 mph; 917 km/h)

Depends also on Load though.......

Implication in Sims: In some cases very important for coordinated flights (Time over Steerpoint,Target or on Station etc etc) and Fuel Management.... irrelevant for "Sochi to Maycop" Battles and such ....

(Joke)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Eagle likes to fight at around 0.95M above 20k.

Cruising speed is whatever does it for you in terms of fuel or formation deployment. In general 350 is a good cruise speed (350 to 0.9M a the cross-over) but 400 does nicely as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

So mach speeds are more prefered. i see, they say the Eagle likes high altitudes where planes usually measure speed in mach.

Seems that i can't maintain 390+ knots IAS above 25,000 feet and above anyway. :)

Will try mach at high altitudes~~

Edited by pauldy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Since we're talking about the F-15, i got another inquiry.

It seems that I can't pull more than 6 Gs when flying above 20,000 feet and that the generation of G's are based on Indicated Air Speed.

i need to be at least 400 KIAS to be able to turn at 9 G's. Plus, this is only possible at 10,000 Feet and below. Note that i'm in Clean configuration when i do the turns.

At high altitudes, i can only pull up to 7 G's. Most of the time i'm already supersonic around 400+ knots Indicated Air Speed.

So does it mean i must turn my attention to Indicated airspeed once i need to do some missile evasion?

IIRC you defeat a missile with beaming to notch and get high G turns :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yup, maintaining the cornering speed is a must in all dogfighting and missile evasion maneuvers!

I wasn't flying F-15C in LOMAC and FC because I play F4-Open Falcon too and radar systems of F-16C and LO's F-15C are similar but very different at the same time (pretty arcadish in LO) causing me to mix things up when I enter F-16 pit. I had to think what to do instead of being fully automated!

Can't say what's the optimal corner V for F-15C in LOFC, 'cause Eagle in LOFC only looks like Eagle from RL! (as far as I heard)!

Cornering speed of real Eagle C is somewhere in between 380-440 kts. (380 kts for hi flying and 440 for sea level are numbers you should look for in those altitude conditions). It's indicated in CAS (Calibrated airspeed) so higher you fly smaller the CAS. If you switch to TAS in EFIS (option we don't have in LOFC) you'll notice that when displayed CAS is 380 - TAS is ~440 knots!

When flying at sea level under International Standard Atmosphere conditions (15°C, 1013 hPa, 0% humidity) calibrated airspeed is the same as equivalent airspeed and true airspeed (TAS). If there is no wind it is also the same as ground speed (GS). Under any other conditions, CAS differs from the aircraft's TAS and GS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What's the typical airspeed for the F-15 in Aerial Patrol Tasks?

I've wanted to ask this a long time ago.

I was wondering at what airspeeds do eagle drivers fly when they're on aerial patrol tasks like CAP (combat air patrol)

In Lock On i usually fly at 380-390 Knots Indicated Airspeed at 23,000 feet and above. Then 400 below FL230. I dunno if this is right :)

Thanks for any information.

Typical airspeed would be whatever you can make with RPM in between 90-95%! You don't wanna burn your fuel excessively if you're CAPing 30 minutes so try staying below reheat detent! You'll notice that you can't pull heavy on the stick (>4G) when above angels 20 without firewalling the throttle but hey, that's F-15C in LO! Like i said, it only looks like an Eagle!

Try setting a constant roll (let's say 10°) to make your CAP in constant circles, don't fly straight lines for 15 miles and turn 6G for 180° cause that's bleeding your energy!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Typical airspeed would be whatever you can make with RPM in between 90-95%! You don't wanna burn your fuel excessively if you're CAPing 30 minutes so try staying below reheat detent! You'll notice that you can't pull heavy on the stick (>4G) when above angels 20 without firewalling the throttle but hey, that's F-15C in LO! Like i said, it only looks like an Eagle!

350 or 400kt is easy to set and maintain. You set airspeed, not RPM.

Try setting a constant roll (let's say 10°) to make your CAP in constant circles, don't fly straight lines for 15 miles and turn 6G for 180° cause that's bleeding your energy!
Actually racetrack is how its done, since it makes for easy tactical formation maneuvering.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda