Pimax Vision 8K X. Anyone uses this headset?

Hi! If anyone has this at home, what is your impression playing DCS with it?

8-KX-KDMAS-VR-HEADSET-7.webp

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

I have one. You're going to want a fast GPU to be able to run it. It's can be a  pain setting up the lighthouses and getting the software setup right. You can get by without it but don't get full DOF. One lighthouse is recommended, two is preferred. It doesn't come with controllers either but you don't need them for DCS.

The field of view is awesome and you get more of a sense of speed using it, as you can see more out of your peripheral. You get way less of the SCUBA mask effect.

With that said, I use the Reverb G2 as a daily driver.

On 9/30/2021 at 6:17 AM, FETUS said:

I have one. You're going to want a fast GPU to be able to run it. It's can be a  pain setting up the lighthouses and getting the software setup right. You can get by without it but don't get full DOF. One lighthouse is recommended, two is preferred. It doesn't come with controllers either but you don't need them for DCS.

The field of view is awesome and you get more of a sense of speed using it, as you can see more out of your peripheral. You get way less of the SCUBA mask effect.

With that said, I use the Reverb G2 as a daily driver.

Thanks for your reply.

I had a Reverb G2 but it packed up, so I invested into a B.Die RAM once I got the refund from HP.

I know a 2080 is recommanded but I might be able to upgrade my GPU too if everything goes to plan, I'm more interested in this headset clarity since I use the cockpit buttons quite a lot especially with the Mirage 2000 and F-18, I need to be able to read the dials and labels.

With the G2 it was OK although I thaught limited PoV was a problem and the sweet spot was also of a limited size, the reason why I want to go VR is S.A, i did find very difficult to follow targets using PoV switches on screen.

Anyway I'm more at enquiry stage right now, I'll take a decision when I'll have the budget and there are new gen VR headsets in the pipeline.#

Fly safe!

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

All the above is true i went from the G2 to the pimax8kx but for other reasons the IPD was to small on the G2.

You need a good rig to run it in multiplayer also the sound  sucks i tossed the head phones. the field of view is with the all the screwing around to get it right.

3 hours ago, shafs64 said:

All the above is true i went from the G2 to the pimax8kx but for other reasons the IPD was to small on the G2.

You need a good rig to run it in multiplayer also the sound  sucks i tossed the head phones. the field of view is with the all the screwing around to get it right.

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, I'm aware of the difficulties of setting this headset, I do not play multiplayer, so I guess I could start with my actual rig and get this headset first.

I just installed mine, am not computer savvy like in the old days. It took a lot of tweaking. 

I got the Iptool and the Steam VR to work together. No somehow got the steam VR to work with DCS stand-alone. 

I am doing trial and error in the settings. Ones any have there system running top knoch 

🤠👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have used my Pimax 8KX KDMAS for a couple of months now with 2 lighthouses and a 200g counterweight at the back of the headset and I like it a lot. The FOV is of course great but my main “plus” is that I am moving my eyes more and my head less than in the G2. One glance down and I can scan all or most of the instruments in one motion. Disclaimer: Based on my experience, nothing more or less. I liked the G2 also but I probably had an IPD-requirement (close to 70) that was pushing it and made my experience less good.

I was in the beginning really missing the sound in the G2 but I have noticed that positioning the KDMAS perfectly over the ear makes a big difference and it is not an issue now.

I use the beta firmware for 90hz and the Pimax experience-app for setup and launching DCS.  No issues at all at the moment. 

• Like 1

System specs: 13900K, Nvidia 4090RTX, 64 GB RAM, 2TB SSD.  Rig: Next Level Racing Boing Military. VR: Varjo Aero (+Pimax (8KX)
Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM2, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Crosswind,
Winwing Orion 2 Hotas F16 (Throttle and stick) , Winwing Orion 2 F15EX throttle, Winwing F18 Phoenix MIP (VR)
Virpil Control Panel #2, Virpil Sharka 50 Control Panel, Total Controls Multi Function Button Box, Streamdeck
Software:  XRnecksafer, OpenKneeboard, SimShaker

Thanks guys for all those useful informations!