Aerodynamic Cover for the TCS

BreaKKer

For those unaware, not every jet in the fleet at certain periods of time had an operable TCS. These aircraft had an aerodynamic cover placed on the front of the chinpod. You may hear this cover called the "aerodyn" cover. There was 2 main types of aerodynamic covers for the single sensor chin cats (The F-14A and F-14B). The first type of cover was a more pointy.

f14-detail-chinpods-08l.jpgVF-154-Black-Knights-010.jpg

The second type of cover was more rounded. The rounded, much like the IRST cover that was used on the F-14D. This can be seen on many museum birds nowadays.

image.png
image.png
1. What would this offer to DCS?

Just like removing the AAR probe, it's just for a little difference, and could be removable via the special options menu (Where you find the afterburner gate enable)
2. What priority would this be on HB's timeline?
This would be pretty low priority, maybe on the same level as the AAR probe door removal. Not required to fly the jet, but offers a bit more variation to the jet.
3. What would HB have to do to model this?
A 3D modeler would have to find exact dimensions of the aerodyn cover, whether that be from images, or an actual written source.
A coder(s) would have to go in and add that option into the special options menu, disable the TCS to even be turned on/operated from the TID and VDI, and make it so the old TCS model is replaced externally by the aerodyn cover.

Edited by BreaKKer
  • Like 1

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

I think this is in store for the F-14A-135GR Early.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

What the "early" Tomcat is actually going to be like sounds like it's still up in the air. Though I personally want the bullet fairing as I have a love affair with the reserve squadrons that used them for a very long time, it seems that in fleet squadrons on-cruise you either saw the complete lack of the housing and just the ALQ-100/position light, or an actual TCS when they were available. I believe I had even heard sometimes the TCS were traded between squadrons/wings coming back from cruise with those going out on cruise until they were more plentiful. So then squadrons ashore would sport bullet fairings or the ALQ only setup for training, Fallon/Key West detachments, and work-ups before they went on cruise again.

It would be great to have lots of options and even room for community modded TCS housings, but that depends on how the TCS pod is handled for the upcoming model reworks. If the TCS got turned into a mountable pod just like the LANTIRN, that could very well be a possibility. Perhaps then early IRST styles could be modeled for those wanting the first blocks of Tomcats, or to "pretend" for a D model use a D TCS modded in. Obviously IRST would not work but at least those really wanting to fly VF-31, VF-2, VF-213 from the 90s-00s could have some way to at least make things look right on the outside.

• Like 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

7 hours ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

Perhaps then early IRST styles could be modeled for those wanting the first blocks of Tomcats...

That would be me, but alas, that isn't going to happen. So cover it is i guess..... or heck, if simulating a AIM/ACEVAL bird, even a TCS would do. 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache