Kneeboards for AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL for guided weapon employment

Not really a tutorial, closer to a guide, but hopefully helpful to anyone new to the AV8B/NA or rusty with employing some of the weapons.

I put together some simple procedural kneeboards for the AV8BNA, placed in the User Files section.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3318838/

As stated these are not official procedures, just what I've put together as a quick reminder on how to employ various guided weapons on the AV8B/NA (after not flying it for a while).  Kneeboards included:

AV8BNA - AGM-65F IR DMT.png
AV8BNA - AGM-65F IR.png
AV8BNA - AGM-65L LZ TPOD.png
AV8BNA - APKWS TPOD.png
AV8BNA - GBU-12 TPOD.png
AV8BNA - GBU-38 JDAM PREPLAN ATHS.png
AV8BNA - GBU-38 JDAM TOO TPOD.png
AV8BNA - RIPPLE GBU-38 JDAM TOO TPOD.png

Enjoy!
AKA_Relent (609_Relentov)

Screen_211019_175330.png

Edited by 609_Relentov
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dambuster8178 said:

hi mate these look really useful where do i put them in the game

Hey dambuster8178,

The kneeboard Zip files contain a readme specifying the path, here’s the contents of the one for the Harrier: 

====================

NOTE:

The AV8BNA kneeboards need to be placed in the AV8BNA Kneeboard folder, for example:

C:\Users\<your name>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\AV8BNA

Enjoy!
AKA_Relent
(ED forums: 609_Relentov)

3 hours ago, 609_Relentov said:

Hey dambuster8178,

The kneeboard Zip files contain a readme specifying the path, here’s the contents of the one for the Harrier: 

====================

NOTE:

The AV8BNA kneeboards need to be placed in the AV8BNA Kneeboard folder, for example:

C:\Users\<your name>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\AV8BNA

Enjoy!
AKA_Relent
(ED forums: 609_Relentov)

Many thanks for the quick reply got a question maybe you can answer its harrier related im trying to do the harrier hover training when i go to get into the hover my front lifts but no the back im on full nozzle rotation any ideas?

2 minutes ago, dambuster8178 said:

Many thanks for the quick reply got a question maybe you can answer its harrier related im trying to do the harrier hover training when i go to get into the hover my front lifts but no the back im on full nozzle rotation any ideas?

Only thing I can think of is you’re over-weight for vertical take off/hovering.  Try removing some fuel or load-out, or try a rolling take off (STOL).

The Harrier is not designed for VTOL/hovering with full fuel and full armament load-out.  Please share your fuel and load-out info, for when you attempted the vertical take-off/hovering.   I believe the max weight for VTOL/hovering is around +/- 20k lbs, so you’d need to be at/below that.

26 minutes ago, 609_Relentov said:

Only thing I can think of is you’re over-weight for vertical take off/hovering.  Try removing some fuel or load-out, or try a rolling take off (STOL).

The Harrier is not designed for VTOL/hovering with full fuel and full armament load-out.  Please share your fuel and load-out info, for when you attempted the vertical take-off/hovering.   I believe the max weight for VTOL/hovering is around +/- 20k lbs, so you’d need to be at/below that.

Cheers for the reply again im doing the training missions that come with the Harrier so everything is set mate im well below according to the set up on the engine page 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 1:45 AM, 609_Relentov said:

Not really a tutorial, closer to a guide, but hopefully helpful to anyone new to the AV8B/NA or rusty with employing some of the weapons.

I put together some simple procedural kneeboards for the AV8BNA, placed in the User Files section.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3318838/

As stated these are not official procedures, just what I've put together as a quick reminder on how to employ various guided weapons on the AV8B/NA (after not flying it for a while).  Kneeboards included:

AV8BNA - AGM-65F IR DMT.png
AV8BNA - AGM-65F IR.png
AV8BNA - APKWS TPOD.png
AV8BNA - GBU-12 TPOD.png

Enjoy!
AKA_Relent (609_Relentov)

Screen_211019_175330.png

Thank you for your service 👍

• Like 1

Darkstar: Merged

• 3 months later...

After testing with the Harrier, I added a step to use TDC Action/No Action Toggle to ground stabilize TPOD when using snowplow mode.  Updated the following kneeboards that use the TPOD:

AV8BNA - APKWS TPOD.png
AV8BNA - GBU-12 TPOD.png

Inspired by Tricker's JDAM ripple YouTube video, I added a kneeboard for rippling JDAMS in TOO mode using the TPOD:

Unless you don't have a HOTAS that supports it (5-way HAT switch or TDC with push), you really shouldn't be using that TDC Action/No Action Toggle. Instead you should disable easy mode TDC in special options and use TDC Down (Action) control.

It could save some of you a lot of trouble when things aren't going as expected as that easy mode is a bit weird at the times

Actually, I have easy mode TDC unchecked.  True, it will work with TDC Down (Action) as well, although that also selects DESG on the EHSD which can prevent snowplow mode (e.g. if I'm looking for a new target area, I'd need to go and unselect DESG again), which is what I mostly use with the TPOD and what my kneeboards are typically set up to use.  I have TDC Action/No Action Toggle set to a button.  As noted, these are not official, but what work for me.  YMMV - if you have a better process by all means feel free to use it :).

Thanks for bringing it up though, I’ll keep it in mind, there seems to often be multiple ways of doing some things.

Edited by 609_Relentov

• 11 months later...

I updated some of the kneeboards that use the TPOD with laser guided weapons, to add a step to change the laser code, if needed.  This is due to the AV-8B setting the laser code to 1111 with weight on wheels, so you should change the code (e.g. 1688) prior to employing laser guided weapons.  Also made some minor cosmetic changes.

I made some additional changes - I updated the following two kneeboards for JDAMs, adding a step to briefly fire the laser for more accurate target position coordinates when using the TPOD:

Also added the following kneeboard for JDAMs, for using the Automatic Target Handoff System (ATHS), where target selection is performed by using the F10 Map, and targets are automatically loaded into the flight plan:

AV8BNA - GBU-38 JDAM PREPLAN ATHS.png