LANTIRN + RIO (not JESTER)

kievbsm

Hello! 

I am not sure that it was a bug. 
If be true I don't know how I can describe my questions in the best way. 
I'll try but sure that it be necessary to add more details in the future. 

So, during last few days we flew with my friend with F-14B. He occupied the RIO sit and we tried to use LANTIRN to hit ships, buildings and cars (tanks, sams, e.t.c.) on the Marianna map.

And we've found a very strange issues during these flights.

1. In the attached image I've marked the bay where I added few ships, cars, sams. When we try to bomb it, we couldn't to designate any targets. Every time when we try to switch our LANTIRN to the point track mode the image on HSD started to shake and then after 1-2 seconds we lost the target - LANTIRN broke the lock and move its target marker to somewhere else. We flew on the 15000 ft with 300-350 nm IAS. But we tried to catch the targets from 6000 up to 34000 ft with the same results.
Later we tried to lock other targets which were placed near the Rota international airport and did it without any problems from 28 miles. 

2. Also we found that when we tried to lock any ships in open sea, we can't lock them if RIO switched HUD image to the BHOT mode. He tried to lock the ship but point track didn't appear.
Then he changed BHOT to WHOT and immediately lock the ship in point track mode. 

I am sorry but I don't know how to show it as video. In that case I can just share the mission which we used.
So, I sure we know how to use LANTIRN, successfully used it before and didn't meet the situation like that.

Could it be a bug or maybe we didn't know some special details which can be used during the LANTIRN practice?

Thank you!

111.jpg

Edited by kievbsm

Hey kievbsm,

Re 1: POINT track requires targets clearly visible against the background. If there had been many objects in your view, the pod might have had problems tracking them. It's difficult to say without seeing the feed from your flight.

Re 2: yes, POINT requires WHOT to engage. You can switch it to BHOT after the pod establishes tracking.

A general note: if the target is not moving, one should prefer selecting AREA over POINT as AREA is more reliable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/