Framerates causing warping?

Nealius

I've noticed while flying online, even over LAN with just myself, warping occurs when my framerates are impacted. E.g.: Flying for hours with no problem then when framerates drop in a congested area like a carrier deck full of parked aircraft, warping suddenly occurs. Once leaving the resource-intensive area, warping does not occur. This is dependent on the client. If I have bad framerates and the other client doesn't, I see warping but he doesn't. If I have good framerates and he has bad framerates, the opposite (warping for him, not for me) occurs. 

I thought warping is only related to latency, but it seems to be related to client framerates. Why is this so? 

8 hours ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

It is also very dependant on the framerate of the server. 
If the server is struggling it's a warp fest. I remember this from playing Arma. As admin you could see the server FPS, once it got lower than 10 fps (or something, i forgot) the game would be a star trek transporter simulator. 

In the case of a LAN, the server has a very high framerate as it's just sitting on the F10 map with the lowest possible graphics settings. I can reproduce warping over LAN, alone, just by trying to land the Harrier on the Tarawa in the evening or at night. As soon as the illumination hits my Harrier, I get a framerate hit and my Harrier warps on the server side. Over LAN. With no latency....

I've found you can improve game performance and overall experience by setting DCS as a high priority process. I suggested to ED that they adjust the DCS install to invoke DCS as a high priority process to try and get a free performance improvement for SP and MP

Strongly suspect a lot of online warping and lagging is people's machines struggling to handle the game and network comms at the same time.

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Ah yeah, I used to set DCS to high priority but forgot about it because setting through the task manager every single time is a pain. I tried project lasso, but it has trouble differentiating between my client DCS and server DCS since they're both "DCS.exe"

Edited by Nealius

@Nealiusthere is also a registry hack you can do to make it do high priority all the time, can confirm it works well and survive updates etc 🙂

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄