Loadout question - Bombs (18+ in IRL video/image vs 12 in DCS)

MIghtymoo

In the newly released video from the Norwegian Airforce there is a clip at 01:50 where the F-16 drops iron bombs (see attached image).

I managed to count 18 bombs in the short clip (may be more?)

In DCS the max load-out is 12 (three on each of a total of four pylons).

Any experts out to clarify the observation?

2021-11-15 17_48_25-Just released F-16 retirement video from Norwegian Airforce - DCS_ F-16C Viper -.png

Edited by MIghtymoo

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

The inboard pylons have extra long racks (MER) that can hold 6 bombs in total, 3 behind 3. As far as I know this was only done for testing early on in the F-16s life and never used operationally. And it's certainly not a valid loadout for a "F-16C Block 50 operated by the United States Air Force and Air National Guard circa 2007" as is simulated in the sim.

F-16 vs Yamato battleship | SpaceBattles

9TywdEK.png

One aircraft that will we will hopefully be getting at some point that can carry MERs is the A-6 intruder... 5 of them in total. For a total of 30 mk82s lol.

Les avions pas gâtés par la nature - Page 3 - Check-Six Forums

Edited by Deano87
  • Like 2

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Actually, I remember reading this was a genuinely allowed loadout on Block 5s or somesuch. Either way, very early F-16A. AFAIK, only testing aircraft actually flew with it, and TBH, this is not a very practical loadout. You'd sacrifice the wing bags for those MERs, and they would add a lot of weight and drag, so in the end, you would likely not have enough gas to do much with your rather thirsty A model Viper. But yeah, there was once a time when someone thought it was a good idea to put 18 bombs on the Viper. The 70s were a fun decade... 

That said, Norway was an early customer, so if it's their Viper (and not imported US footage), it might, in fact, be an instance of "operational" use of the MERs. I wonder if their MLU version can still carry them. If we ever get the Block 5 Viper, I want the MERs. 🙂 If only for the sheer hilarity of a lightweight day fighter carrying a larger bombload than a B-17. Just dive on something, pickle the whole load off, get out and fly to the nearest tanker, hoping you get there before your engine quits. 🙂 

Edited by Dragon1-1

7 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

That said, Norway was an early customer, so if it's their Viper (and not imported US footage), it might, in fact, be an instance of "operational" use of the MERs.

I think it’s the same black radome/white bombs jet that I posted a pic of tbh.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

7 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

You'd sacrifice the wing bags for those MERs, and they would add a lot of weight and drag, so in the end, you would likely not have enough gas to do much with your rather thirsty A model Viper. But yeah, there was once a time when someone thought it was a good idea to put 18 bombs on the Viper. The 70s were a fun decade... 

The expected use of many of the early F-16 operators was very different to that of the USA, i.e. defensive rather than force projection.  Range not so much of an issue if the Soviets have already rolled into your sovereign territory.  At that point nobody cares about loiter times, rapid turnaround is the name of the game.

• Like 2

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

I watched that video, and it seems some of the older footage is more akin to a "promotional video" to when Norway got the F-16 than an actual impression of what it was going to be used as for us. The underlying commentary also points me in that direction. 

Afaik, most of the (surviving) Norwegian F-16 are of Block 10 and 15 with MLU and M tape upgrades.

Also of interest is the intention off the Norwegian requirements. The principal use of Norwegian fighter jet force (in the cold war) was to punch a hole in Soviet defences so heavy bombers could do their thing with nuclear weapons or strategic bombing in case of an attack. And in peacetime it was (and still is) used as part of NATO's QRA. 

This does look to be US stock footage, not Norwegian jets, but I wonder whether 6xMERs are still on the books for them. TBH, I'm not even sure if they survived into Block 5, nevermind Block 10 or MLUs. 

4 hours ago, Deano87 said:

I think it’s the same black radome/white bombs jet that I posted a pic of tbh.

This could be literally any Block 1 Viper dropping bombs of this type, although it's quite likely it was the same one, if only because this loadout was so rare. Black radome was a Block 1 thing, which was changed in Block 5 because it was really conspicuous and instantly identified the jet in visual range. There's not a whole lot of color pictures of Block 1.

10 hours ago, Lace said:

The expected use of many of the early F-16 operators was very different to that of the USA, i.e. defensive rather than force projection.  Range not so much of an issue if the Soviets have already rolled into your sovereign territory.  At that point nobody cares about loiter times, rapid turnaround is the name of the game.

I imagine it's especially true for smaller countries like Norway or Denmark where if you're operating in your borders, it's already a bad scenario and you aren't flying huge distances, or you're helping allies and likely operating from their bases that are likely already pretty close to the action.