Any way to increase fidelity of button inputs to AP adjustments?

I love the fine tuning capabilities of the autopilot, but I noticed that when bound to buttons/encoders the fidelity of the adjustments is WAY coarser than when using the mouse wheel over them. This does also hold true for other aircraft admittedly, like adjusting heading knob on the A-10C etc.

Is there any way to adjust this via lua editing or something like that? I'd much rather use my physical controls for this than the mouse wheel.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like that is possible. I don't have anything in the keybinds project for the Hip yet, but will be starting on an update soon. Currently testing RIO binds for F-14 and then Hip and Hind are next on the list. I'll be sure to add in different speeds for the AP knobs.

I'd suggest using at least Quaggles mod to add the additional speeds - then the core files don't have to be edited. https://github.com/Quaggles/dcs-input-command-injector

If you use keybinds project it'll have folder/file structure set for every module, including Hip: https://github.com/Munkwolf/dcs-community-keybinds/tree/main/InputCommands

The LUA file to check is DCS\Mods\aircraft\Mi-8MTV2\Input\Mi-8MTV2\joystick\default.lua

Around line 806 you'll see the AP knobs:

{	pressed = device_commands.Button_13, value_pressed = -0.5,										cockpit_device_id = devices.AUTOPILOT,	name = _('Autopilot Heading Adjustment Knob - CCW/Left'),	category = {_('Center Console'), _('Autopilot')}},
{	pressed = device_commands.Button_13, value_pressed = 0.5,										cockpit_device_id = devices.AUTOPILOT,	name = _('Autopilot Heading Adjustment Knob - CW/Right'),	category = {_('Center Console'), _('Autopilot')}},
{	pressed = device_commands.Button_14, value_pressed = -0.5,										cockpit_device_id = devices.AUTOPILOT,	name = _('Autopilot Roll Adjustment Knob - CCW/Left'),		category = {_('Center Console'), _('Autopilot')}},
{	pressed = device_commands.Button_14, value_pressed = 0.5,										cockpit_device_id = devices.AUTOPILOT,	name = _('Autopilot Roll Adjustment Knob - CW/Right'),		category = {_('Center Console'), _('Autopilot')}},
{	pressed = device_commands.Button_15, value_pressed = -0.5,										cockpit_device_id = devices.AUTOPILOT,	name = _('Autopilot Pitch Adjustment Knob - CCW/Left'),		category = {_('Center Console'), _('Autopilot')}},
{	pressed = device_commands.Button_15, value_pressed = 0.5,										cockpit_device_id = devices.AUTOPILOT,	name = _('Autopilot Pitch Adjustment Knob - CW/Right'),		category = {_('Center Console'), _('Autopilot')}},

Here's how half-speed options for those would look:

{	pressed = device_commands.Button_13, value_pressed = -0.25,										cockpit_device_id = devices.AUTOPILOT,	name = _('Autopilot Heading Adjustment Knob - CCW/Left (Slow)'),	category = {_('Center Console'), _('Autopilot')}},
{	pressed = device_commands.Button_13, value_pressed = 0.25,										cockpit_device_id = devices.AUTOPILOT,	name = _('Autopilot Heading Adjustment Knob - CW/Right (Slow)'),	category = {_('Center Console'), _('Autopilot')}},
{	pressed = device_commands.Button_14, value_pressed = -0.25,										cockpit_device_id = devices.AUTOPILOT,	name = _('Autopilot Roll Adjustment Knob - CCW/Left (Slow)'),		category = {_('Center Console'), _('Autopilot')}},
{	pressed = device_commands.Button_14, value_pressed = 0.25,										cockpit_device_id = devices.AUTOPILOT,	name = _('Autopilot Roll Adjustment Knob - CW/Right (Slow)'),		category = {_('Center Console'), _('Autopilot')}},
{	pressed = device_commands.Button_15, value_pressed = -0.25,										cockpit_device_id = devices.AUTOPILOT,	name = _('Autopilot Pitch Adjustment Knob - CCW/Left (Slow)'),		category = {_('Center Console'), _('Autopilot')}},
{	pressed = device_commands.Button_15, value_pressed = 0.25,										cockpit_device_id = devices.AUTOPILOT,	name = _('Autopilot Pitch Adjustment Knob - CW/Right (Slow)'),		category = {_('Center Console'), _('Autopilot')}},

You should be able to drop that into the Hip's file in the keybinds project. The Hip has a few device-specific LUA files that you'd have to override (by copy-pasting the default.lua to a new file with name matching your device). You can check which ones by the list of files in F:\DCS\Mods\aircraft\Mi-8MTV2\Input\Mi-8MTV2\joystick. Only need to copy-paste if your device is there as a lua file (can ignore .diff.lua files)

• Like 1