Mission 8 JTAC doesn't respond

37 minutes ago, markom said:

Fair enough :-).

Regarding enjoying the campaign. To be honest, not as much, but it's not that I hate it. I'm just not too good at it :-). I needed to cheat a few times (I obtained TGP and AMRAAMs through my outside-the-navy contacts, but don't tell the boss).

No problem fly it as you like as long as you enjoy it.

The idea of the Serpent's Head, The Serpent's Head 2  and Rise of the Persian Lion Campaigns is they are a set of  campaigns with a continuous plot that get slowly more difficult as they progress.  What many do is when they get stuck at something they will read up or look it up on u tube,  master what they need to to complete the mission. So as you progress through the campaigns you are becoming more proficient with the Hornet.  Weapons are normally selected to test you at various aspects, but you can do what you like 🙂👍

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Yup, I figured as much! Don't get me wrong - I love the missions and the campaign, but... once a frustration sets in, it's better to treat it all as a game, than stew in being stuck. I decided that my unlicensed equipment supplier was the way to go in those cases.

Seriously though, aiming those IR Mavericks is not something I enjoy doing!

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I have this issue with JTAC not responding. I notice that Axeman and Kobuleti ATC use the same frequencie : 133.00

And you know what? When I ask for inbound on com1 for Kobuleti ATC I've got the answer. So come 1 channel 1 works with ATC but not for JTAC. I don't want to land but fire this bloody hell maverick😉

Perhaps that JTAC fequencie could be change to be different from Kobuleti ATC once?

I play on DCS beta 2.8 with SC campaign (not the easy one).

I really enjoy this campaigns Badger !

Regards,

Kaco.

11 hours ago, kaco said:

Hi,

I have this issue with JTAC not responding. I notice that Axeman and Kobuleti ATC use the same frequencie : 133.00

And you know what? When I ask for inbound on com1 for Kobuleti ATC I've got the answer. So come 1 channel 1 works with ATC but not for JTAC. I don't want to land but fire this bloody hell maverick😉

Perhaps that JTAC fequencie could be change to be different from Kobuleti ATC once?

I play on DCS beta 2.8 with SC campaign (not the easy one).

I really enjoy this campaigns Badger !

Regards,

Kaco.

Hi

Note what you say about the Kobuleti frequency but that has always been the case and the mission has worked for years.

Firstly are you using any mods? These can impact all DLC campaigns in very strange ways.

Secondly one of the main reasons you may not be getting a response is you could be too far away or in radio shadow caused by the hills. As in the brief and reminded on the radio you should contact the JTAC when within 20 miles. Also would recommend you be at Angels 15 to ensure you are not in radio shadow. Radio is usually line of sight. Give this a go and see if it works.

This is probably not the issue but for completeness make sure you are using the correct press to speak button for radio 1.

In case we have a new DCS bug I will check it out this end and let you know.

Glad your enjoying the campaign.

Hope this helps. 

EDIT 10 March 23: Just flew the mission there was no problem making contact with JTAC. Would suggest you try the things I have set out above. 

Badger633

Edited by Badger633

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Hi Badger,

Yes this helps ! It works when contacting JTAC within 20 miles and at angel 15 thank you !

I think I've contacted JTAC too early in my previous attempts.

Lets continue to have fun with this campaign !

If I may have a remark, perhaps you should add this information in the PDF join with the mission 8.

Regards,

Kaco.

7 minutes ago, kaco said:

Hi Badger,

Yes this helps ! It works when contacting JTAC within 20 miles and at angel 15 thank you !

I think I've contacted JTAC too early in my previous attempts.

Lets continue to have fun with this campaign !

If I may have a remark, perhaps you should add this information in the PDF join with the mission 8.

Regards,

Kaco.

Will do next update 👍

• 8 months later...

I was curious if anyone has run into any issues recently with Axeman in Mission 8 "Snake trap"? I'm on MT 2.9.1.48111, and am playing through the Super Carrier version and have tried this mission now a couple times.  Axeman will never respond, even when flying directly overhead.  If I drop the -83 on a building or vehicle, I do get audio triggers kicking off, and I usually get a successful strike notification, and clearance to refuel with Texaco. But I never get Axeman to lase any of the targets. He pops smoke at one point and talks about vehicles coming up the hill, but I never see anything.

I also tried the non Super Carrier version and Axeman will respond at 15k from 20'ish miles out.  However after he goes through the 9-line I never get an option to have him lase any targets in the communications window.  However, once again you can destroy some targets and get cleared to Texaco.

I am unsure if it's a new bug introduced or if I am missing something.

21 hours ago, CageyLobster said:

I was curious if anyone has run into any issues recently with Axeman in Mission 8 "Snake trap"? I'm on MT 2.9.1.48111, and am playing through the Super Carrier version and have tried this mission now a couple times.  Axeman will never respond, even when flying directly overhead.  If I drop the -83 on a building or vehicle, I do get audio triggers kicking off, and I usually get a successful strike notification, and clearance to refuel with Texaco. But I never get Axeman to lase any of the targets. He pops smoke at one point and talks about vehicles coming up the hill, but I never see anything.

I also tried the non Super Carrier version and Axeman will respond at 15k from 20'ish miles out.  However after he goes through the 9-line I never get an option to have him lase any targets in the communications window.  However, once again you can destroy some targets and get cleared to Texaco.

I am unsure if it's a new bug introduced or if I am missing something.

Hi

I will check it out.  Previously with this mission you just needed to ensure you are not in a radio shadow as it is down in a valley. Regarding the uncomplete 9 line i have had a similar issue on the Serpent's Head which I have fixed. Will let you know how i get on. Also make sure your not running any mods.

EDIT

Just did a quick extract test and set Ford at 20k within 2nm and managed to get successful responses in the supercarrier version and supercarrier EZ version. I will fly it through next but check you are high enough. Try 20 k.

Edited by Badger633
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badger633 said:

Hi

I will check it out.  Previously with this mission you just needed to ensure you are not in a radio shadow as it is down in a valley. Regarding the uncomplete 9 line i have had a similar issue on the Serpent's Head which I have fixed. Will let you know how i get on. Also make sure your not running any mods.

EDIT

Just did a quick extract test and set Ford at 20k within 2nm and managed to get successful responses in the supercarrier version and supercarrier EZ version. I will fly it through next but check you are high enough. Try 20 k.

So I ran the repair tool, and ran the mission and everything is fine.  But, the repair tool didn't need to fix anything.  I am so confused.  I am so sorry I wasted your time with this. 

Just, fyi if your are interested, or if anyone else has this issue in the future.  I had a problem with the mission initially and came here and read the solutions and re-flew the mission 2 more times with the SC version at angels 15k and 20k.  Ford makes the comment at roughly 25nm away he should contact Axeman and fence in.  I was waiting until closer to 15NM to contact him.  Theoretically could that put me outside the trigger? 

Making the call to Axeman outside of 20NM, but within 25NM at 20k got a response and everything fired as it should.  Again, I am sorry for wasting your time.  These campaigns are amazing, and a lot of fun to revisit and really well paced to learn the -18, or relearn it, lol.  I am looking forward to your future stuff.   

9 hours ago, CageyLobster said:

So I ran the repair tool, and ran the mission and everything is fine.  But, the repair tool didn't need to fix anything.  I am so confused.  I am so sorry I wasted your time with this. 

Just, fyi if your are interested, or if anyone else has this issue in the future.  I had a problem with the mission initially and came here and read the solutions and re-flew the mission 2 more times with the SC version at angels 15k and 20k.  Ford makes the comment at roughly 25nm away he should contact Axeman and fence in.  I was waiting until closer to 15NM to contact him.  Theoretically could that put me outside the trigger? 

Making the call to Axeman outside of 20NM, but within 25NM at 20k got a response and everything fired as it should.  Again, I am sorry for wasting your time.  These campaigns are amazing, and a lot of fun to revisit and really well paced to learn the -18, or relearn it, lol.  I am looking forward to your future stuff.   

Hi

Glad you got it sorted. There is no trigger to get a response from JTAC it is only the DCS modelling of the radio.  I think the valley must cast quit a distinct radio shadow so you need to be high enough to get above that. 

No problem though, as DCS has so many updates I am dependent on fellow pilots to point out when there is a new bug so I can fix them. 

Been working on the latest Campaign for 7 months now it will be called, ‘Operation Green Line’.

Thanks.

• Like 2

This mission is broken in 2.9. First, I need to get within 20 miles before contacting Axeman. If I contact Axeman outside of 20 miles, he won't respond at all for the rest of the mission. Second, Axeman does not lase, so AGM65 could not be fired. I skipped the mission.

Edited by andytts

@andytts You need to be within 20 miles because the radio station is obscured by the hills. You also need to be high enough I would suggest 20k for same reason.  Should then work, see notes above. I will double check and fly it this end to ensure its' not a new bug.

Also are you open beta or stable, normal mission or EZ refuel or increased difficulty. Most important are you running any mods.

Thanks

I have checked it out there seems to be an issue which I am looking into. Frustrating as it has worked for years. Will let you know when fixed. I am getting comms with JTAC but Mavs are falling short. 

EDIT Think it is a DCS bug

Edited by Badger633

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, thanks for all your hard work.  Have really enjoyed SH1.  Now on SH2 Snake Trap and stuck.  JTAC all working fine.  But, when I hit the first target with IR Mav, it fails me and says I didnt protect the JTAC.  BTR is nowhere near him at that point.  Happened three times now.  Help.

Hi @Biggles81

When exactly do you get the fail?

This fail will occur if you enter the target area and then drift more than 18 miles away from the the target before completing your task.

You must remain within 18 miles before completing your mission.

Could this be the reason you are getting the fail?

Thanks

Hi @Biggles81

So I understand it, you successfully take out the two buildings then are called back to attack the first vehicle coming up the hill and as soon as he is killed you get the mission fail?

Do you have Tacview and if so could you send me the file of the flight.

I will look into it. 

Thanks

HI @Biggles81

The mail is  badger633campaigns@gmail.com

You are correct the mission fails as soon as the first vehicle is destroyed. The problem is a recent DCS update appears to have corrupted the trigger in some way. Anyway it is fixed now and will be updated in the next DCS update. 

Thanks for the heads up 👍

• Like 2

I’ve been playing through the campaign for the first time over the Christmas holiday. I was checking these forums because I too experienced the mission failure after killing the 1st BTR. 

Very pleased to find Badger is still involved and supporting the campaign!  

You Campaign creators must go crazy between the game updates and user mods. God bless! The “skip” mission feature added a while back has proven a good idea given all the crazy things that can trip up a mission. 

Really enjoying both Serpents Head Campaigns!  Looking forward to the Persian Lion next. 

Hey @Stain

Glad your enjoying the campaigns 👍

Yes all the campaigns are supported, and yes it can be a real nightmare, but all worth it if fellow pilots are enjoying them. 
We were mixed regarding the skip facility but it has proved very useful. Our difficulty is that when a problem has been raised by someone, and we do depend on them as it is impossible to test over 80 missions every update, we can sometimes fix quickly but it can only be distributed to the pilots in a main DCS update, which could be a month later. 
Been working on a new campaign for 9 months which will be fifth in the suite of campaigns continuing Ford’s story, about 80% complete. “Operation Green Line”. 🙂

• Like 1