radar elevation position can become offset from axis value

ice41

Sometimes after locking and unlocking one target in RWS SAM or TWS, the antenna elevation axis center position will not return the antenna to center, and one end of the maximum elevation can not be reached.

In the RWS trackfile, on the first SAM lock, the altitude numbers next to the radar cursor jumps up after the lock, and the SAM scan is above the target elevation. After TMS down to unlock, I recenter the elevation axis but the radar does not return to scanning the horizon. It lowers slightly from scanning above the target to scanning at the target elevation, and it seems like the radar thinks this is the new horizon position. The same radar elevation persists on switching to A1, and the radar elevation corrects itself to the horizon when I cycle back to A6.

The next lock reproduced the same behaviour. But it did not happen again on the next 2 or 3 attempts. I'm not sure what made the difference.

TWS trackfile shows the same thing as the RWS track.

RWSElevOffCenter.trk TWSElevOffCenter.trk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/27/2021 at 7:01 PM, Riverseeker said:

+1 for me too, (happened in RWS -> SAM)  permanent elevation offset for my whole MP flight. 

A quick workaround: move your radar cursor out of the right or left edge of the screen. It will change the scan azimuth, but it will also reset the offset elevation value to the correct value.