why does the updater copy files from one installation to another?

skypickle

I have two copies of DCS open beta-one on my nvme drive(C: drive) and one on a spinning hard disk(D: drive). (The backup is in case of a disaster so I dont have to download gigabytes over a slow internet connection.

When I update my dcs, I only update the one on my C drive and that's the one I use. I havent used the one on the hard drive for a month (and just to update it then)

When the new patch came out today (and with all the other patches too) the updater tells me it is copying files from the Hard drive (copying files from the  D drive) What's going on?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

I doubt the installer makes a difference between hdd, ssd or nvme.

It was rather telling you, it moved the downloaded files from the temp-folder to your installation folder.

And it used an term from back in the day, when a hdd was the most common.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I noticed this time the Open Beta update actually copied files from DCS stable version.

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

• ED Team

The update program checks the existing game files. If possible, the necessary ones are copied, not downloaded from the server. I update only the Steam version, and the Open Beta and Stable version is copied from the Steam version. I have paid traffic. I like this kind of updater work. 🙂