Will upgrading from a Ryzen 9 5900 to a i9-12900KF make much improvement for a Pimax 8KX system?

darkman222

Long story short. Thanks for the advice, but I think I have a bad CPU.

I removed the old "bequiet" CPU fan. The thermal paste was like chewing gum. I pulled the CPU out of the socket while it was still sticking on the cooler plate. Cleaned everything up installed the new Noctua cooler with fresh thermal paste.

Now when I run prime95 with optimized default bios settings the CPU goes up to 60 degrees.

When I activate XMP and game boost it runs up to 100 degrees.

When I set ryzen master to over clock too it runs up to 115 degrees and shuts down.

Also the CPU sometimes does not recognize that it heats up and the shown temp stays low, but the PC shuts itself down anyway.

CPU stability Test shows: fatal error:

grafik.png

Seems like this is it. Time for a new CPU

Edited by darkman222

Well that sucks, could you be able to warranty the CPU?

edit:

If you bought the CPU retail in a box then you have 3 year warranty with AMD. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/pib

If it came as a prebuilt system then you need to go back to the system builder.

Out of interest, your voltages aren't manually set too high are they? By default my 3600 would pull loads of volts and they very quickly build heat. Try reducing the CPU voltage a bit and see if it stabilises the temperatures.

Could possibly be the motherboard at fault?

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Hard to squeeze out much in the way of single core performance with an overclock. Multicore is another matter bit is irrelevant to DCs.

How much ram ya got?  32g minimum for MP.  As another poster mentioned make sure xmp is on. If you have to buy RAM don't go nuts, 3600mhz is plenty (and even 3200Mhz should work)

Most "graphics" settings affect CPU more than GPU.  You may have to turn off shadows, turn down clouds and water, and might need to put vis range as low as medium and even then you may have to get off the deck before things  run smooth.  

In terms of coolers, I put in a Mugen 5 on a build the other day. That things a beast. 

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Well the Ryzen 9 5900x is history now. Goes back to my reseller. Talked to them and he is pretty sure its a faulty CPU. I hope there are no issues with the warranty. Ordered an Intel 12900kf and a new mainboard now. The Ryzen replacement will be sold on Ebay.

My voltages were set to defaults. If the motherboard has issues too, I dont know. And it does not matter any more. I am running memtest now, just to be sure. Because the DDR4 Ram is what I will keep. I have a Noctua NH-D15 SE Cooler for my Ryzen. I will keep that too. Just ordered an adapter kit for the Intel now.

Yes 32 GB Ram. For MP that should be still sufficient.

When I play DCS everything is turned off and set to low. Except textures (cockpit) and shadows to low. Not to flat. Flat feels awful in VR. But flat and low does not make much of a difference.

Lets see how the new setup performs. Cant wait for the parts to arrive...

On 1/31/2022 at 12:28 PM, darkman222 said:

Well the Ryzen 9 5900x is history now. Goes back to my reseller. Talked to them and he is pretty sure its a faulty CPU. I hope there are no issues with the warranty. Ordered an Intel 12900kf and a new mainboard now. The Ryzen replacement will be sold on Ebay.

My voltages were set to defaults. If the motherboard has issues too, I dont know. And it does not matter any more. I am running memtest now, just to be sure. Because the DDR4 Ram is what I will keep. I have a Noctua NH-D15 SE Cooler for my Ryzen. I will keep that too. Just ordered an adapter kit for the Intel now.

Yes 32 GB Ram. For MP that should be still sufficient.

When I play DCS everything is turned off and set to low. Except textures (cockpit) and shadows to low. Not to flat. Flat feels awful in VR. But flat and low does not make much of a difference.

Lets see how the new setup performs. Cant wait for the parts to arrive...

I think your new setup will perform as the old one with a normal 5900X. But if you have time and money to build a new pc, the choice is yours.

Keep in mind that the 5900x replacement could be the new B2 step who works at higher frequencies with less heat, with a performance gain.

So i suggest you to try it before selling.

Here the news: https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5000-zen-3-b2-stepping-tested-cpus-offer-lower-temperatures-lower-power-stable-boost-clocks-better-ddr4-support/

Edited by maxsin72
  • Like 1

Well thanks for the heads up Maxsin. I did not know about the upgraded Ryzen processors. I think I will keep the Ryzen9 5900 as working PC anyways, when my reseller sends a new CPU. Good single core processor speeds are valueable for my work as 3D Computer-Animator. Before that system becomes my new work PC I will set it up for a quick test in DCS again. At least we know then.

So long story short: ( probably defective) Ryzen9 on MP servers had CPU frame times of 20-22 ms. Now the new Intel 12900 under Windows 11 has CPU frame times of between 9 -12 ms. Which is most of the time an absolutely smooth ride. 

Further investigations will be done. I also will revert to Windows 10 and see how performance is.

4 hours ago, darkman222 said:

Well thanks for the heads up Maxsin. I did not know about the upgraded Ryzen processors. I think I will keep the Ryzen9 5900 as working PC anyways, when my reseller sends a new CPU. Good single core processor speeds are valueable for my work as 3D Computer-Animator. Before that system becomes my new work PC I will set it up for a quick test in DCS again. At least we know then.

So long story short: ( probably defective) Ryzen9 on MP servers had CPU frame times of 20-22 ms. Now the new Intel 12900 under Windows 11 has CPU frame times of between 9 -12 ms. Which is most of the time an absolutely smooth ride. 

Further investigations will be done. I also will revert to Windows 10 and see how performance is.

Very good idea, so you can choose the better option. I'm curious to know which will be the better configuration for DCS, it's a very interesting question.

• Like 1

I'll post here for sure when I have set up the Ryzen PC with the new returned CPU and compared it to my Intel 12900 PC. But that wont be before the end of the month, when my current animation project I work on, is over. Because I'd have to replace my current work PCs peripherals with the Ryzen. And as it is known, never change a running system during a project 🙂

Until then I am happy with my new setup and that I can finally enjoy DCS with smooth frame rates in VR. Thanks for all the useful hints and tips guys. Expect a good comparison between Ryzen9 and i9 at the end of the month 🙂

Edited by darkman222
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 6:37 PM, darkman222 said:

I'll post here for sure when I have set up the Ryzen PC with the new returned CPU and compared it to my Intel 12900 PC. But that wont be before the end of the month, when my current animation project I work on, is over. Because I'd have to replace my current work PCs peripherals with the Ryzen. And as it is known, never change a running system during a project 🙂

Until then I am happy with my new setup and that I can finally enjoy DCS with smooth frame rates in VR. Thanks for all the useful hints and tips guys. Expect a good comparison between Ryzen9 and i9 at the end of the month 🙂

Sure, it is a kind of job that requires time and, the end of the month, it's a short time to wait, thank you 🙂