Merging SSD's?

RvL

Hi everyone,

I just bought myself the Syria map and when i tried to download it, unfortunately i do not have enough disc space on my DCS SSD. Crap!

I have two SSD's. First has my windows 11 install on it. Second has my DCS install on it. Both are Samsung Evo 250GB SSD's

First SSD has 133GB available space left.  Second SSD has 55GB left.

First thing that came to mind was buying a new bigger SSD. Then i thought, isnt it possible to merge the two SSD's into one SSD without losing my files, creating new available space for DCS.

I checked google and it does seem possible. But i dont quite understand if its a reliable option to do and what the negatives are.

Has anyone here have experience doing this?

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

23 minutes ago, RvL said:

I checked google and it does seem possible. But i dont quite understand if its a reliable option to do and what the negatives are.

Has anyone here have experience doing this?

It can be done, if your motherboard supports RAID disks .. however, it does not keep the disks contents intact, you would have to backup both drives onto an external drive, then configure a RAID type 0 array using your motherboard utility and finally recover the data from the backup. The negatives:

1) It takes a fair amount of time.

2) If in the future either one of your SSD fails, you loose the whole content of the RAID array. When using separate drives you only lose the failed drive contents.

3) If in the future your motherboard fails, you would need a replacement compatible with the RAID structure, which may dificult the upgrade.

In my experience, time is money, so I would rather purchase a 1 TB SSD drive, transfer everything and then sell the two smaller drives while they still have any value on the 2nd hand market.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks for your explanation Rudel! Sounds like its going to be a new SSD then. I also do think time is money and the pro's doesnt outweight the cons going for merging the two SSD's.

• Like 1

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

• 3 weeks later...

There's another way: Directory Junctions
You can have a folder on one drive appear & act, for all intents & puposes, as though it actually exists in another location/drive.

Lets say your DCS is installed in D:\DCS World OpenBeta\

So Syria would be normally located at D:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Syria

If you want to move it to another drive, due to lack of space, let's say E:\DCS\Syria

run these command: 

mkdir E:\DCS\Syria

mklink /j D:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Syria E:\DCS\Syria

When you get a success message, just download/install Syria map, and it will actually be written to E:\, but will appear in D:\

If you're not comfy with cmd commands, get this: https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hardlink_shell_extension.html