Modman question..."When possible always install textures in CDDS files"

"When possible always install textures in CDDS files"

Some mod installations ask that this be disabled but when you do, another message from Modman says it's better to leave it enabled.

Can someone please explain what CDDS is and why I get the conflicting message.

Thank you

A CDDS file is a file containing multiple compressed images. The sim uses these files to retrieve the textures,, etc needed by the sim. Because they are compressed, they load more quickly than the same image in uncompressed format. That is why, generally, it is better to have ModMan put the modded images into the appropriate CDDS files.

HOWEVER, some mods are not suitable for inclusion into the appropriate CDDS file. Those get loaded into the TempTextures folder instead and, to have that happen, the "When possible always install textures in CDDS files" box must be deselected.

The creator of the mod has the final say. Also follow the mod directions.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Ironhand thanks for your reply:

1]The mods not suitable for CDDS and go into the TempTextures folder when "When possible always install textures in CDDS files" box is deselected. Is the mod ignored because it is in the TempTextures folder?

2]What happens when you don't deselect the "When possible always install textures in CDDS files" box and force CDDS? I sometimes see a box appear that says due to incompatibility the files have been stored in a temp folder, even so, I still see the benefit of the mod as it does show up in the sim. Was this caused because I didn't deselect "When possible always install textures in CDDS files"?

3]When I "deselect" Modman says it is not necessary to as it is a newer Modman version that can process the install while being "selected"

Thanks again.

Edited by fitness88

Ironhand thanks for your reply:

1]The mods not suitable for CDDS and go into the TempTextures folder when "When possible always install textures in CDDS files" box is deselected. Is the mod ignored because it is in the TempTextures folder?

The first place the sim looks for textures is the TempTexture folder. So anything in that folder will be used and the same file in the CDDS folder will be ignored. So you will see the mod.

3]When I "deselect" Modman says it is not necessary to as it is a newer Modman version that can process the install while being "selected"

Thanks again.

In that case, try it. Just back up the CDDS files first in case ModMan is wrong about what it thinks it can do. :)

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

OK that makes it clear about the TempTextures folder being the first place the sim looks.

I suspect that if files that were not CDDS were put into a CDDS folder by Modman, there would be a graphics problem showing those textures. But as I mentioned that does not seem to happen as Modman seems to know what files can go where, even if I don't...lol.

Thank you.

If you're installing textures then the best way really is to create your own custom .cdds files containing your preferred aircraft skins or general textures. It take a few seconds and makes reinstalling a breeze.

For a full CDDS tutorial check out my sig.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.