Missile warning in the F-16

Comatiker

Hi,

I watched a lot of videos witch describe the handling of the F-16. I ask myself, if there is any missile warning implemented - this was already a request by others here in the forum, and the answer was "no". But I found this video on Youtube, where a missile warning seems to work:

So how can that be? I tried some combat situations in DCS with the F-16 but got no missile warning too. What do I have to to or does someone know how to get the missile warning like in this video?

8 minutes ago, Comatiker said:

OK, so I should be warned when for example, an R-27 is approaching, but not when an R-73 is incoming? That could explain why I got no warning.

Think of it like this, if the Missile is radar guided you should get a warning in the F-16.  Cause the system is picking up the radar signature not the missile.

however their are systems not in the F-16 we have in DCS which are sort of like cameras that specifically looks for missiles ( no matter how the missile is guided) through a number of different ways and these will alert the pilot to where the missile is. I believe the JF-17 and A-10C have these systems in DCS.

Edited by Blinky.ben

The RWR can give launch or missile warnings based on RF reception. There is no optical information (infrared, UV, etc.) that detects rocket motors like the A-10C. There is a "MWS" switch on the CMDS panel but it does nothing in the F-16.

The RWR sometimes has to guess when launches happen and its guess can be wrong. With an R-77 the radar is in the missile and so it's obvious if the missile radar is detected to give warning but only when the missile radar goes active. An R-77 launch detection would depend entirely on if there is a noticeable change in the host's radar near launch. But R-27 is just illuminated like AIM-7 Sparrow. Often the platform radar will "do a thing" during the launch process and if RWR can detect this radar behavior and assume that a missile was launched. Sometimes it can, sometimes it can't. Sometimes the host "fakes" the process and doesn't launch a missile.

R-73 wouldn't trigger an alarm unless the host airplane's radar did something distinctive (probably not). If the R-73 was launched without the help of radar then definitely not as there's nothing radar about the missile itself.

• Thanks 2